Talk

Advanced search

Long Haul Ideas for my husband 40th birthday next September

(17 Posts)
bgt Wed 13-May-09 09:06:40

Any ideas where I can take husband next September for his 40th, my little boy will be 2.5years old then. We would like to do something special and long haul.

squeaver Wed 13-May-09 09:09:00

Where have you been before?

Do you want a beach holiday or city and sights?

squeaver Wed 13-May-09 09:09:19

And what's the budget?

bgt Wed 13-May-09 12:53:04

probably a beach holiday, luxury. We have been to South Africa, Mexico, India, Goa and parts of Europe all before baby was born.

squeaver Wed 13-May-09 12:59:09

You should go to Australia. We did it with a 2.3 yo. - it's perfectly doable and definitely "holiday of a lifetime" stuff.

Or the Maldives or Mauritius

Or Hawaii.

poshtottie Fri 15-May-09 21:05:40

My dh is 40 this year. I really fancy Mauritius. I read a review on "the one and only saint geran hotel" and it sounded fantastic.

I have the emirates tours brochure and they have some amazing holidays in there.

Linnet Fri 15-May-09 21:08:01

Australia, that's my plan for my 40th.
Hong Kong is Dh plan for his 40th.

dontdillydally Sun 24-May-09 09:31:26

Beaches Hotel resorts - ideal for families but full of luxury/spas for you and hubby

bran Sun 24-May-09 09:44:58

Australia is lovely in the spring before it gets too hot. Next time we go I want to go to Margaret River in Western Australia which is supposed to be gorgeous.

CHOOGIRL Tue 26-May-09 16:01:48

Carlisle Bay, Antigua. Beautiful beach, fantastic accommodation, tennis, spa and really good kids club. Not much to do outside resort though.

infin Thu 28-May-09 15:10:13

How about Borneo? You could go to KK and stay in a lovely Shangri La resort and see the orangutans there at their sanctuary. Or for a more authentic experience you could fly over to Sandakan and see the sanctuary there. You can fly very cheaply to K.L with Air Asia (I'm going in October for £325 return!!) and their flights to KK are about £20 return if budget is an issue at all.

Grumpy0ldWotz Thu 28-May-09 16:52:06

How long are you going for? Some destinations can be a good chunk of the holiday time, so worth considering if you only can have a short break.
eg
From UK - To Mauritius flight time is approx 12 hrs
To Maldives approx 11 hrs
To Caribbean approx 8.5 hrs

For my 40th, we went to the Isle of Mull, it was lovely. We stayed here www.calgary.co.uk in a family room for a few nights. Bedroom pic is on the site with an adjoining bunk bed room for the children.

Ferry crossing over so it was like going abroad.

Grumpy0ldWotz Thu 28-May-09 16:52:43

Some destinations 'the flights' can be

FleurDelacour Mon 08-Jun-09 15:57:18

I second the Shangri La at KK (Rasa Ria)as you get a luxurious beach resort plus baby orang utangs.

Another fab place is Bali, with loads to do, exotic scenery and lovely beach hotels.

hifi Mon 08-Jun-09 16:43:12

maldives
thailand
the one and only resorts are truly fab

daisysue2 Mon 22-Jun-09 17:55:11

Close to home the Four Seasons in Egypt, Sharm, Fantastic and actually very good value for money. Great reef just on the beach.

What about the Caribbean one of the best islands is Grenada, very cheap at the moment as so few bookings. We have stayed at the Calabash as few times. All the rooms are looking out onto the beach so easy to put baby down for a nap and take turns sitting outside.

Zeavola in Koh Phi Phi in Thailand. Lamai villas in Thailand, Koh Samui are good or Long Island Resort in Lamai. We went there lots of times with our very young children. Thai people are great with kids and we actually found it difficult to have time with them as they were always playing with someone. LongIsland if it is still there has four beachfront bungalows. Again you can put baby down and just sit outside, which is the beach.

Also have a friend who stayed recently at fushivilla in Grenada and said it was amazing. I know they got a good deal as there were only four of them in the villa. You can generally pay less if you negotiate a large villa for less people.

Oman Shangri La was great and again quite close.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 22-Jun-09 18:02:59

how long haul? Hawaii is great according to my SIL and BIL, who go there a lot with their children (they live in USA, so its not far for them to travel). But from UK the journey is horrendous (usual is heathrow to LA -12 hours, LA to mainland hawaii - 7-8 hours, plus allowing 3 hours stopover in LA at least).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now