loader

Talk

Advanced search

Disney hotel - Animal Kingdom Lodge

(31 Posts)
Hulababy Sun 15-Feb-09 19:40:23

Anyone been?

Was it worth it? What did you think?

Just looking now. Going to Disney on our own this summer so looking at the hotel option.

Before I book - anything I should know?

twinsetandpearls Sun 15-Feb-09 19:43:30

I will be very envy if you do as it looks fab. We went in a big group so it was not an option.

You can get deals on expedia etc so check them out.

Hulababy Sun 15-Feb-09 19:49:24

Will check there too. Thomson coming out cheapest and best deal so far. Ging end of August.

Fancy a hotel which has a balcony - so Dh and I can sit somewhere if and when DD has an earlier night.

Have only done villas before but as just the three of us wondered about going for the hotel option this time.

surreylady Sun 15-Feb-09 20:01:40

Thought about it very seriously but have booked Wilderness lodge in the end because it is more central - AK looked lovely if you pay out for the view but is quite remote from all other parks. Going August!

twinsetandpearls Sun 15-Feb-09 20:02:17

It looked so fabulous, we really wanted to stay but the other members of our party did not want to.

Washersaurus Sun 15-Feb-09 20:09:40

We went and didn't think much of it tbh.

Hulababy Sun 15-Feb-09 20:10:47

surreylady - did wonder about the distance compared to others but many of the other hotels don't have anywhere to sit outside once DD is in bed. And I think all the transport is free, plus we have car hire and free Disney parking. Last couple of times we stayed in villas so we are ued to having to drive.

Hulababy Sun 15-Feb-09 20:11:07

washersaurus - why was that?

stardazzle Sun 15-Feb-09 20:11:47

hula i'm not envy at all.

Hulababy Sun 15-Feb-09 20:15:12

I am very excited again at the thought of going! I am such a child, lol!

stardazzle Sun 15-Feb-09 20:22:27

i can't even throw the well i'm going to New York in May at you as i do with other people who have exciting holiday plans!!!!!!

grin

surreylady Sun 15-Feb-09 20:24:52

Wilderness Lodge has balconies - we have booked a courtyard view and requested Geyser view (which I will try and insist on on arrival) as this overlooks both the erupting geyser in the grounds and the Magic Kingdom fireworks which.

Hulababy Sun 15-Feb-09 20:25:54

surreylady - who have you booked with? Wilderness lodge not on Thomspn

Hulababy Sun 15-Feb-09 20:26:25

lol Stardazzle - looking forward to that too grin

surreylady Sun 15-Feb-09 20:35:26

booked direct - booked flights on BA miles which we get from a credit card (free companion voucher) and hotel direct as they were giving FREE meal plan and it worked out as a good saving for the 4 of us especially as they count my 10 year old as an adult!!! not sure if the free meal offer is still on - also only had to pay a deposit as I love discount hotel deals but hate having to stump up all the cash 10 months in advance. Disney will collect you free from Orlando airport and although we are not going direct as this is the last part of the holiday we can drop our car back at the airport and get the transport. Just realised I am looking forward to it tooooooooo

Hulababy Sun 15-Feb-09 20:56:47

Was that through disney site? No offers re meals at moment.

Thomson have quoted £3866 for 14 nights for 3 of us at Animal Kingdom but for standard room (so no view or pool or savannah) from East Midlands to Sandford (sadly not Orlando). Includes free Dsney tickets plus car hire.

Virgin is coming up at over £1000 more for standard rooms, from Manchester to orlando, same dates, same hotel room and tickets.

Savvanah views is another £256 per person with virgin; can't find it as an option on Thomson.

Washersaurus Mon 16-Feb-09 21:23:30

Sorry - I didn't check back here last night.

We stayed in a room with balcony but were really disappointed as the animals were only visible for about 10-20 mins every day (but we had excellent view of othere people on their balconies).

We couldn't get a breakfast in the restaurant several of the days we were there (nightmare with a small toddler) and the room service was vastly overpriced. The hotel was really dark and dingy feeling too.

On the other hand, I absolutely loved the Animal Kingdom Park, which is really really good....

My mum has a house in Orlando now so I will never have to stay in a hotel again(if I could ever afford the flights that is!!)

newpup Mon 16-Feb-09 22:07:56

My good friend stayed here last Easter and was not very impressed. She said that the views from the balconies were mostly of other people on their balconies!! She also said, the hotel was nothing special and she prefered the polynesian. I have been there for a Dinner show and it looked good. We always stay in apartments in Lake Buena Vista. Would recommend them unless you really want Disney.

newpup Mon 16-Feb-09 22:09:16

Sorry, I have been to The Polynesian for a Dinner Show not Animal Kingdom Lodge.

DesperateHousewifeToo Mon 16-Feb-09 22:29:26

We stayed there a couple of years ago and really liked it. But then, I think, all the Disney hotels are great.

It is much darker feeling than the other hotels and it is pot luck where the animals were.

We didn't spend any time on the balcony as it was too cold and we were wanting to go to bed too when we came back.

The transport system was fine. Had to wait 10 mins sometimes for a bus to where we wanted to go but didn't take long to travel everywhere once onboard. Probably not much difference from taking your own hire car and then walking further.

Didn't use the pool.

Had no problems with getting a table for 7 of us each morning for breakfast.

Our favouriye hotels are the Yacht/Beach club and Grand Floridian though.

Hulababy Tue 17-Feb-09 09:13:13

Thanks.

newpup - have dne villas before, but this year there will only be the three of us, hence considering letting DD have the experience of a Disney hotel.

So which other hotels to consider?

Floridian is just so much more expensive. And I really don't like the look of the Contemporary.

Wilderness and Polynesian look nic, as does Carribean Beach.

arfur Tue 17-Feb-09 20:49:57

We stayed at Polynesian last May and really liked it - we could watch the park fireworks from our room (lake view room cost extra I think) but we could see the castle and space mountain. Pool was smallish but lovely and with fab water slide which kids loved. Bus transport was good and you could also get boat to magic kingdom and grand floridian from hotel!

DesperateHousewifeToo Tue 17-Feb-09 21:04:59

I think the cost of the hotels are often based on how close they are to the main attractions.

See this map. You can click on the parks and it tells you which hotels are nearby.

Have a think about which parks you will want to visit. We usually go to Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Mgm and Animal Kingdom and avoid the water parks. So, staying at The Yacht or Beach club means we are in spitting distance of Epcot and MGM - you can walk to both, although usually catch a boat to MGM. I assume you can walk from Carribean Beach Resort too.

I think there are a range of hotels for different budgets near to each park.

We have stayed at Grand Floridian, Contemporary, Polynesian, Ycht/Bch Club and Buena Vista Appts.

I agree that the Contemporary does not look particularly appealing and quite dated but if you have train obsessed individuals in your party they'll love the monorail going through the middle!

Hulababy Tue 17-Feb-09 21:17:52

We will be going to all 4 parks, plus probably half a day each at the water parks. We will also have a day at each of the Universal parks and maybe go over to the Space centre again, as DD is a bit older this time and may well enjoy it; I know Dh likes it regardless lol.

DD wants to stay in a pirate themed room at Carriben Beach

DH is still fancying Animal Kingdom, but upgrading for a savannah view.

DesperateHousewifeToo Tue 17-Feb-09 22:30:28

Could you book half your stay at each one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now