Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

In the vain hope that I get to go to either for my 40th next year......

(8 Posts)
Poshpaws Thu 09-Oct-08 16:15:16

...which is better for children (8,4.5 & 2.5)?

Orlando or Barbados?

Will have to take them with us so would need a place that suited both our and their needs.

Thanks

pofaced Thu 09-Oct-08 16:24:03

Orlando horrid imho - a mass of freeways and utility hotels and theme parks and malls and flat as far as the eye can see... You will enjoy a trip here only if you like shopping, processed food, theme parks. If you want to go to the US there are lots of naturally beautiful places to visit where there'll also be a theme park/ shopping etc if you want that kind of thing.

Orlando is to the rest of coastal America what Blackpool seaside holiday is to Cornwall... depends on which you would choose!

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 09-Oct-08 21:12:43

What time of year are you thinking of travelling?. This may well have some bearing on your decision

P.S Orlando is not horrid!!.

MrsMattie Thu 09-Oct-08 21:14:32

Orlando is full on and good value for money - theme parks, water parks, absolutely shed loads for kids to do, cheap to eat...

Barbados is naturally beautiful, great beaches, but pretty quiet

Two completely different concepts in holiday if you ask me...

tissy Thu 09-Oct-08 21:21:20

Have been to both and would take Barbados anytime!

Barbados is small and quiet, but the people are amazingly friendly, there are fantastic beaches (esp on the West coast), there is stuff for kids to do; a cave with sea anemones in, a Zoo, a park with loads of lovely birds and plants, Rum factories grin, submarine ride, caves with stalactites and stalagmites.

One of our most vivid memories is coming back from the beach t find the cleaning lady sill in our room. I apologised profusely for covering her nice clean floor in sand, and she said, " If you didn't make a mess, there wouldn't be a job for me" -lovely grin

mumoverseas Fri 10-Oct-08 07:49:13

I have also been to both and would not say Orlando is horrid although if you don't like theme parks perhaps you shouldn't go there.
It really depends what sort of holiday you are looking for, and also, as Attila said, what time of the year.
Barbados is beautiful and relaxing but there are nice places to go and some lovely cruises although obviously you'd need to be careful with your little one. Also, there are hotels that have kids clubs which would mean that you'd get some 'me' time.
Orlando can be manic, but again it depends on the time of year you go and what you choose to do. If you choose to do all the parks, ie Disney, Universal, Seaworld etc that it won't be as relaxing as if you were spending some time on the beaches (there are some lovely beaches around an hour from Orlando)

Poshpaws Fri 10-Oct-08 16:17:50

Thanks for the replies.

Was hoping October (I know it's hurricane season...)

Not a massive fan of theme parks but thought it might be the better option what with having 3 small children with me.

Considered going to Barbados as my dad hails from there, but last beach holiday I did for 2 week period, I got very bored.

Thanks again. I shall have to give this a lot of thought smile

mumoverseas Fri 10-Oct-08 16:25:56

October can be a nice time to be in Orlando, particularly if you are there for halloween as the americans really go OTP with it.
Thats the problem with a long beach holiday, you tend to get bored! Why not do a 2 stay, ie a week in Orlando and a cruise to Barbados or one of the other carribean islands? good compromise! Or, a week in Orlando and a week at a beach resort in Florida, ie Naples/Tampa/St Petersburg?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now