Talk

Advanced search

8 hour flight: will the in-flight movies entertain a 3yo and 4yo?

(24 Posts)
franch Mon 06-Oct-08 11:59:14

Less worried about DD1 as she'll watch just about anything. DD2 is more fussy and more easily bored. Haven't flown with them before so have no idea what entertainment they have for young kids. Am I really going to invest in one of those portable DVD players?? Or two???

snackattack Mon 06-Oct-08 12:15:32

franch - where are you flying to and who are you flying with? I've worked in the airline industry for years and flown with my kids loads, so let me know some details..

Aimsmum Mon 06-Oct-08 12:42:14

Message withdrawn

kanchan Mon 06-Oct-08 13:56:21

Are you flying overnight? We did a 12 hour flight to Bangkok a few months ago with our kids aged 7, 4 and 2.....no problems whatsoever, they simply slept!

Portable DVDs are great. We bought one a couple of years ago and it's the best investment! We take it on car journeys too, so don't think it'll only be for planes. Also take some paper, pencils and stickers, they'll come in handy.

franch Mon 06-Oct-08 19:18:29

Thanks all - snack: Air Jamaica/Virgin

Daytime on the way there kanchan

franch Tue 07-Oct-08 07:22:35

Just downloaded film info from air jamaica site - they only list ONE MOVIE (grown-up) for each direction in Oct. No kids entertainment mentioned - ???

snackattack Tue 07-Oct-08 09:42:17

Hi franch - usually it's a "family friendly" film and (in my opinion) not usually any good at all for youngsters! I do have 2 x DVD players for my two (aged 4 and 8) but to be honest, I also had to buy extra batteries as they don't usually last the full journey otherwise. As yours are so young, you could buy one between them with extra ear phones - then they can both watch at the same time - my recommendation!! I would suspect the 4 year old will sit their happily with that (mine will last at least 5 or 6 hours without moving!!)... but the youngest will get bored. My top tip for travelling with kids - buy a load of v. cheap stuff from Woolies - tiny stocking filler type toys and a few cheap small books - and wrap them individually in bits of paper. Bring them out occasionally one by one when they start to get bored. Also, I take food because airline food is not always what they want to eat - and again, lots of snacky things like yogurt covered raisins etc which take ages to eat. I have bought the paint-less painting kit from Crayola once - there's no paints involved - you just dip your (dry) brush into the clear gel stuff and it magically turns into colour on the page.. can't remember what it's called. Kept my young one occupied for ages. Hope this helps.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 07-Oct-08 09:45:15

Is it Air Jamaica or Virgin? Virgin tend to have shiny new planes (ime) and a good inflight entertainment system.

snackattack Tue 07-Oct-08 10:03:35

Yes NQC that's true - much better with Virgin - great in flight entertainment for all ages.... I was assuming a code-share and that OP is flying on Air Jamaica....

franch Tue 07-Oct-08 10:22:45

Air J is operated by Virgin now.

Great tips snack, many thanks. So the viewing angle is ok if you're sharing a portable DVD player is it?

snackattack Tue 07-Oct-08 13:26:34

yes, it's fine franch. However, on Virgin you should have your own seat back entertainment which is just perfect for kids! We are flying Virgin to Florida at Xmas and my kids absolutely love it! Make sure you've booked kids meals as they are great and good for entertaining them for a short while too!

franch Tue 07-Oct-08 14:33:13

Need to find out if it's old-style Air J or if it's Virgin planes - have emailed them - fingers crossed! Will check out kids meals - thanks

franch Thu 09-Oct-08 10:06:48

It is Virgin apparently - phew

MrsMattie Thu 09-Oct-08 10:09:19

Virgin are pretty good. If it's a newer plane they have the 'on demand' entertainment system (although got a feeling they don't operate this to JA). Still, they'll have a few kids films and some cartoons.

overthemill Thu 09-Oct-08 10:12:18

on BA my then 4 yo dd was ok. took aselection of entertainment with me to USA. saved up all party bags from few months before and gave her stuff in dribs and drabs. One film (cartoon), playing with toys (1 new one an hour, inc playdoh, mini blackboard and chalks, bubbles), 1 game, 2 books, baby doll, drawing (and meals were good fun (for her))

franch Thu 09-Oct-08 10:17:02

Thanks MrsM & overthemill

squeaver Thu 09-Oct-08 10:26:37

Get the DVD player. You'll use it on holiday too and forever more.

snackattack Thu 09-Oct-08 16:03:42

Great that it's Virgin - will make life a lot easier. I would highly recommend the DVD player too. Also, can't take bubbles at the moment due to restrictions but play doh is good - I always have a couple of small pots in my flight bag and a few plastic stamps etc (no plastic knives!)...
I'm sure you'll be fine franch. Hope it goes well.

franch Fri 10-Oct-08 10:08:14

Thanks snack! Have resisted DVD players for a long time tho ... Do you not think the entertainment on Virgin will be enough?

overthemill Fri 10-Oct-08 11:28:15

virgin entertainment is very good. we have dvd player but use it only in car for long journeys - good investment though!

snackattack Fri 10-Oct-08 18:54:39

franch - if you can afford one I'd still recommend it because sometimes they use it in the airport when there are delays (for example!) or in the car or in hotel room on holiday..... you name it!! Having said this, if you really can't, don't worry too much as Virgin will be just fine for the actual journey you are talking about....
HTH

franch Fri 10-Oct-08 20:15:35

Are portable DVD players shareable - ie can both DDs watch at the same time?

How bulky are they?

Shitemum Fri 10-Oct-08 20:22:23

franch - get a double audio plug so you can plug in two sets of headphones at once.

I would say one new toy per half hour rather than per hour. Sticker books are good, the ones where they have to find the sticker that completes the picture or part of picture. A few playmobile people and animals so they can invent stories are good too. I wouldnt take bubbles on the plane, probably not allowed anyway...
Last time we went on a plane i got some of those ittle games with water inside that you have to press a button and make something whoosh up inside and go into a basket or over a little stick. Kept my 4.5yo happy for ages but then she's never had a video game so is happy with simple things!

franch Fri 10-Oct-08 20:32:17

Thanks shite

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now