Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Travel with 5 mo, step by step guidance appreciated...

(8 Posts)
sagalsmith Sun 05-Oct-08 18:40:13

I've read through some posts and its cleared some questions but brought on others. I'll be going to Malaysia for 6 weeks with dh joining for part of the trip so he won't be with me on both legs of the journey. This will be in December (dd is 11 wks now).
1-So for bottles, I assume I'll be able to take a full bottle across security if I'm willing to taste it. otherwise, disposable bottles and bibs, powder, sma from boots. Am I right?
2-do I necessarily need a car seat? I have a maxi cosi but wouldn't need it for the trip.
3-I would prefer to bring my stroller as its such a long trip,instead of borrowing one when I get there. I've a Stokke. Can I have it upto the plane entrance or do I have to check it in, in which case, does it count as a baggage?

I'm probably flying S'pore or M'sian airlines- will be booking this week. Can I book a bassinet on the internet and do I need to check beforehand? Is a bassinet and a skycot the same thing?

Any other advice that I may have forgotten much appreciated as I've no idea what a 5 mo will be like....

RuthChan Sun 05-Oct-08 20:20:56

Can't help you about bottles etc, but I did travel long haul with my DD when she was 5 months old.

You don't need a car seat on the plane.
You can take one if you like, but you'd be better off using a bassinet. They only usually insist on a car seat if one adult is taking 2 children who are too young to be strapped into their own seats.
Personally, I have never bothered with a seat.

You can take your stroller with you.
Whether or not you are allowed to use it as far as the gate depends on the airline, the airports you are using and what transfers you are making on route.
In most cases, you will be allowed to use it up to the gate and then have it checked onto the plane from there. It might be worth checking in advance if you are worried though. The airline can tell you.

Each airline has their own rules with regards to the bassinets, but most are available for use with babies up to about 10kg and about 75cm long. You should check the airline website for exact info. Yes, Skycot will be their name for a bassinet.
You probably can't book it on line. You may have to book your own seat and then call the confirmation phone line to ask for a bassinet. They are usually handed out on a first-come-first-served basis, so call early.

Take lots of toys etc to entertain your DD. You will be given some small items on board, but they probably won't have much to interest such a small person.

You probably already know, but giving her a drink during take off and landing will be the best way to prevent her getting earache from the pressure changes. It really works.
Bottles are, of course, fine. If you prefer to breast feed, no one will mind that either.

Good luck.

sagalsmith Mon 06-Oct-08 11:30:05

Wow, thanks!! That's actually answered most if not all of my queries. Thanks a lot.

RuthChan Mon 06-Oct-08 20:05:24

No worries.
Glad to be of service!!! grin
Give me a shout if you have any more questions.

strawberrycornetto Mon 06-Oct-08 20:31:21

Hello. I flew long haul when DS was 8 weeks old and then did a short trip at 7 months.

You should be able to check in the stroller at the gate but be aware that you may well not get it back until baggage collection. If you are on your own, you will have to carry your DD and your hand luggage. Its probably worth having some kind of sling to put her in incase.

Definitely try to book the sky cot. It was a godsend for DS, he slept in it for the whole flight.

RuthChan Mon 06-Oct-08 21:47:29

Yes, I second that about the sling.
I too lost my push chair until baggage collection and was therefore carrying hand luggage, change bag and DD on my own.

My DD doesn't sleep on flights at all, but the sky cot was useful for her to sit in, play in and to store her toys etc!!

sagalsmith Tue 07-Oct-08 00:23:35

What are the chances of the stroller being mishandled? Is it worthwhile to have a bag for it- I know Stokke do a travel bag thing.
A mum I spoke to today also said that it's worthwhile making sure that travel/home contents insurance covers strollers. I thought that sounded useful although I assume that the airline will take responsibility if it gets damaged en route...
The sling is a good idea.

RuthChan Wed 08-Oct-08 20:15:02

I only ever travelled with my pushchair once.
They bagged it for me at the airport gate when they took it from me and checked it onto the plane.
I wasn't worried about it's condition at all.
However, I don't mean to worry you, but to be honest, I never saw it again.
I arrived at my destination, but my pushchair didn't.
I was told that it had been left in Paris airport, where I had transferred, however it never got back to me. Apparently Air France 'lost it'. (ie it got nicked)
Of course they paid me back for a replacement, but I was not best pleased. angry
I'm sure you won't have such bad luck. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now