Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

anyone been to egypt? did you get a visa in person or by post?

(12 Posts)
hatwoman Wed 01-Oct-08 20:47:11

the embassy website says that if you go in person you have to collect it 3 days later. pita. otherwise do it by post - and I hate sending my passport in the post - get scared I'll never see it again

Grumpalina Wed 01-Oct-08 20:56:49

I used to travel to Egypt a lot and used to buy it when I arrived at the airport when I arrived in Egypt (I think it was cheaper too). This was about ten years ago but I would check if this is still possible. It certainly saved a lot of hassle.

hatwoman Wed 01-Oct-08 21:01:14

I went a few times years ago too - and I couldn't remember what I did - now you've said that I have a vague memory that they say you can't buy it at the airport but everyone knows that you can. or something ridiculous.or maybe I just dreamed that...

MascaraOHara Wed 01-Oct-08 21:04:28

If you are going to sharm you don't need one.. you just get your passport stamped at the airport for approx 15quid.

That covers you for anytravel within the sinai desert(?) region

cmotdibbler Wed 01-Oct-08 21:07:53

Going to Cairo I just bought one at the airport

EachPeachPearMum Wed 01-Oct-08 21:10:28

Which part of Egypt?
We got ours in person at the embassy, but it was a couple of years ago, and it was same day service.
If you fly to Cairo, you HAVE to have visa before you go.
AFAIK if you fly to Luxor you can purchase on arrival.
If you fly to red sea and stay within 'red sea riviera', you don't need a visa
HTH

galleyslave Wed 01-Oct-08 21:10:59

I have been to Hurghada and marsa Alam and both times just boutght it at the airport....its a bit of a scrum though

Blandmum Wed 01-Oct-08 21:11:54

at the air port in Egypt

hatwoman Wed 01-Oct-08 21:16:48

thanks all - we'll have to phone and find out - hardly any of what you've said is the same as the embassy website! we're flying to Cairo (see other thread if you want to give any non-visa advice...!)

cmotdibbler Wed 01-Oct-08 21:29:05

It says here that you can buy the visa at the airport

MollieO Wed 08-Oct-08 15:07:31

Just seen this. We were in Cairo in March and got visas on arrival at the airport. Short queue and cheaper than getting them done in the UK.

abouteve Wed 08-Oct-08 15:09:26

Cheap and quick to get them at the airport. If you are on holiday in the Sinai you don't need to get one. We did because we went to Cairo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now