Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know of anywhere nice in Koh Samui?

(20 Posts)
NicMac Wed 17-Sep-08 12:37:18

Hello, we are thinking of going to Koh Samui and somewhere else either in Thailand or Malaysia next year. Has anyone got any tips please? We are 5 - 2 sons aged 6 and baby who will be 2 by then. Funnily enough all my children were conceived in Thailand (maybe best to avoid!!!) Thanks in advance

NicMac Mon 22-Sep-08 06:12:08

Bump just in case!

CaurnieBred Mon 29-Sep-08 17:47:15

We stayed on Chaweng Beach on our honeymoon - pre kids. Chaweng Regent Beach Resort. We loved it to be honest. Not sure if it had any kids club - did have kids pool though. We liked it as when you were in the hotel it was sooo quiet, but you could walk out the door and be in the bustle of the resort. May not be what you want though.

hifi Mon 29-Sep-08 18:22:02

we stayed here
tongsai bay
it was ok but the main strip on the beach, chaweng is a bit sleazy. i would liken it to a thai blackpool.
the meridien is further out and theres a lovely four seasons.
theres better places.

rosbif Sat 04-Oct-08 05:24:55

Thanks for these, I hadn't seen them until today - sorry! I think you both sound not too keen on Koh Samui, maybe I should look for alternatives. I would love to go back to Khao Lak but just feel a bit boring having been there 2 years ago.

Olipop Sat 04-Oct-08 06:09:30

Alhthough none of the places we stayed were particularly 'nice' in the sense that I prob wouldn't go back now I have kids but fine for a young couple type way, I really liked being in 'fishermans villiage' which is slightly north of the airport. It was much more peaceful and relaxing. We did stay (it's all coming back to me now) in the Oasis Spa which was like a detox health center but had a nice pool and you didn't have to do all the starvation stuff and it had a lovely veggie restaurant.
I'm jealous...I adore Thailand but can't contemplate the flight yet with a 3 yr old and due again end dec which will prob delay our return a bit longer!

LovelyDear Sun 05-Oct-08 20:18:38

i always use TripAdvisor for this kind of thing. generally get a good idea of what's going on. I liked Krabi when i went to Thailand 12 years ago..!

rosbif Mon 06-Oct-08 11:27:06

Yes, trip advisor is great for reviews. We liked Krabi too but not as much as Khao Lak, think may have to go back there is only for a few days as it is paradise imo

orangina Mon 06-Oct-08 11:48:09

Go to the iescape website to have a look, here. They have great places to stay, and the people who run the company are really helpful...

Agree to follow up with looking at Tripadvisor...

orangina Mon 06-Oct-08 11:49:04

I always fancied staying here.... when the kids are older maybe (its the 12 hour flight with 2 under 4 I can't get my head around...)

orangina Mon 06-Oct-08 11:51:29

Actually, this sounds lovely, here

rosbif Mon 06-Oct-08 11:57:21

Thanks, great website, we did the flight with two just under 4's at the time and it was really fine. They were transfixed to the TV's and loved the food on trays.

boogeek Mon 06-Oct-08 11:57:33

Oh we stayed in the most fabulous house on Koh Samui - it kind of depends what you want though: I was pg with my first and it was lovely and quiet and secluded (so your kids might get bored, there's no club or anything). (But a nice beach and, looking back at my diary we visited a waterfall, had a ride on an elephant, saw butterflies, tigers, parrots, otters, fish and snakes (in zoos and aquaria not wild!) and had a day-trip to Ang Thong National Park where we saw wild monkeys.) A chef from the local restaurant came and cooked our breakfast every day!

hifi Mon 06-Oct-08 12:46:29

we went to krabbi last year and really enjoyed it here
going to khoa lak this year.

navyeyelasH Mon 06-Oct-08 12:51:38

Ko Toh is the best Island in Thailand from my experience (3*3 months of travelling there). But it is not as developed as some of the other islands so you wont get familiar foods such as pizza hut etc.

But there is water and electric! And uncrowded beaches and the beach is quite level so the water is very shallow for agggges great for paddling.

Also I found it to be the cleanest spot in Thailand. It depends what you're after really

hifi Mon 06-Oct-08 12:53:33

i would like to stay here krabbi

rosbif Mon 06-Oct-08 13:23:43

hifi, my BF went there and was actually really disappointed but she is very demanding, in the nicest possible way. Thanks Navyeyelash am going to look at Ko Toh too now

FleurDelacour Mon 06-Oct-08 13:32:22

We are staying at the Santiburi, Koh Samui later this year. Big bucks but comes recommended.

glitterbird Sat 18-Oct-08 13:30:53

if you have the budget I would stay here. Its the hotel I actually got married in a few years ago but its gorgeous and there are lots of different accommodation options including gorgeous cabins by the beach which had lots of families with young children when I was there. There is a spa and lots of lovely restaurants and its easy enough to get a cab to other parts of the island when you want to tour.

[http://www.kosamui.com/baantalingngam]

glitterbird Sat 18-Oct-08 13:31:54

www.kosamui.com/baantalingngam

sorry this link should work now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now