Talk

Advanced search

Going to Florida with 5 month old - advice on time differences and routine please!!

(7 Posts)
pinacolada82 Sun 14-Sep-08 21:30:34

Hi,
just wondering if anyone has any tips/advice on how to cope with the time differences and routines when travelling to florida? We are going in oct and DD2 will be 5 months old - we are leaving at 10am UK time and arriving in US at 2pm their time - I have no idea what to do with her routine, do i try and adjust it to fit in with US or what??!!!
She currently goes to bed at 6.30 - 8am and has random sleeps in the day, cant get her into a daytime nap routine!!
Thank you

KT12 Mon 15-Sep-08 09:01:52

We took our DC to Hong Kong when 4 months old and simply kept the routine the same in the new time zone. Found that DC coped better than we did.

bellavita Mon 15-Sep-08 09:04:51

I would just carry on in the same time they are on in Florida.

pinacolada82 Mon 15-Sep-08 09:44:18

so, instead of putting her to bed when we get there at 2 (i think this will be 7pm our time??) just keep her as if its the day 3 hours feeds etc until 630pm US time?

bellavita Mon 15-Sep-08 11:39:51

well, you will land at 2pm, will not probably clear customs/immigration/car pick up until 3.00pm, so it may well be she will fall asleep en route to where you are staying.

In answer to your question, yes I would stick to the times as much as possible ie, if she feeds at 6.30pm and then goes to bed at 7.00pm in the UK, then do exactly the same on US time

pinacolada82 Mon 15-Sep-08 15:14:08

thank you smile

diddle Sun 21-Sep-08 21:52:33

i agree, we're travelling there with our 2 yr old and 1 yr old this dec and have taken our eldest at 6 months and 10 months and the best thing to do is let them sleep when they want, but keep feeds etc at the same times as you normally would. Don't put her to bed when you get there, but let her nap a little.
You'll be amazed at how well she will adjust, its harder coming home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now