Talk

Advanced search

can you take baby back carrier onboard?

(10 Posts)
B4Bella Sun 14-Sep-08 20:10:48

Hi ladies,
Just wondering if anyone know if back carriers (rucksack types like Bushbaby, Vaude etc.)are allowed on the plane?
If it's allowed, can you still take along the pushchair as well? We're going for the long holiday and would like to take both with us.

I'd be grateful fr any advice before I invest in one!

many thanks,
Natalie

spicemonster Sun 14-Sep-08 20:11:44

I took both - checked mine in and didn't have to pay

B4Bella Sun 14-Sep-08 20:20:49

thanks Spicemonster. I was looking at the heathrow airport website and theysay hand luggage have to be within certain size but I wasn't sure if baby carriers are exempt. Which airport did you fly from?

spicemonster Sun 14-Sep-08 20:30:29

Gatwick. And I flew with easyjet who aren't very generous with their luggage allowance. I checked in the back carrier with my bags and then took the pushchair to the gate. Had to pick them both up at outsize luggage the other end. NB it can be a very long way to that, especially at heathrow/gatwick so if you have a hipseat or sling, I'd bring that too. Carrying my DS for an hour and our carry on luggage nearly broke my back!

ChupitosGalore Sun 14-Sep-08 20:33:02

id take an ergo or similar instead of the framed backback. lighter, smaller, folds down to nothing, and ive heard, more comfortable and easier to carry. mine is certainly v comfy and i am in agony with most carrying devices. i can even go for a wlak or make dinner with my nearly 3yo in it shock

SuperBunny Sun 14-Sep-08 20:44:53

I used my Ergo with DS. You can take a pushchair to the gate and, if there isn't space for it in the cabin, they'll put it in the hold for you. But I would just use the Ergo around the airport and check the stroller when you check your luggage

B4Bella Sun 14-Sep-08 20:49:03

We'll have loads of stuff to check in as well as carry on luggage, so I think it's a good idea like you said, to bring something lighter. We've seen Ergo on a couple of websites. They're more expensive than other slings but if it's very comfy as you said, then I'm very tempted already!smile

ChupitosGalore Sun 14-Sep-08 20:52:05

there are lots of other people who make basically the same thing... in differnt febrics and stuff too... start a thread on babywearing and ergos/copies and see what you can turn up. might be more resonably priced. i have a lovely red thing called Yamo i got off ebay, which is the same thing, only prettier (and cheaper i think iirc) smile

B4Bella Sun 14-Sep-08 22:52:56

thanks ChupitosGalore. The Yam ones look really cute! Shame none on sale on Ebay at the mo :-(

KT12 Mon 15-Sep-08 08:58:40

I put my carrier in the suitcase and find there is plenty of space around the frame for clothes etc. Have done this on several holidays now that have been for about 3 weeks at a time. Definitely a good idea to have both, especially if you like going for walks where buggies can't go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now