Talk

Advanced search

Do I need a photo licence to drive a hire car in the USA, going in 2 weeks and I only have a paper one.....panic.....

(10 Posts)
chelsygirl Thu 11-Sep-08 09:36:22

can I use a paper licence and my passport as ID? Help!! too late to get a photo one now, it takes 3 weeks, oh no ......

RTKangaMummy Thu 11-Sep-08 09:55:25

ive never needed one

But the last time i drove in USA was a couple of years ago

Last year in Canada didn't need one

chelsygirl Thu 11-Sep-08 16:44:40

thanks RT

anyone else?

DadInsteadofMum Fri 12-Sep-08 00:37:40

Was fine with paper last summer

suedonim Fri 12-Sep-08 00:46:15

Dh and I hired a car in Ca just eight weeks ago and our paper licences were fine. Hth.

chelsygirl Fri 12-Sep-08 17:41:38

thanks

skankywitch Thu 18-Sep-08 10:04:58

I have just checked my car hire rental voucher and it says DRIVING LICENCE All drivers must produce both parts (if applicable) of their full, valid British/EU driving licence.

Photo copies or faxed licences wil not be accepted.

a Credit card must also be produced in the lead drivers name.

So you will be fine with you paper licence.

We are using uscarhire/dollar who seem to be very reasonable.

bellavita Thu 18-Sep-08 10:07:52

I used my very old paper license in July for the US - was ok and we too used Dollar.

nancy75 Thu 18-Sep-08 10:09:09

if you dont want to risk it (although i think you will be fine) phone dvla and explain that you need to get licence within a week, they give you a special address to send the forms to, you post them all 'special definately going to get there tomorrow by nine am post' and they will get it back to you in time.
last year i had my bag stolen with my licence in it a week before we went on holiday, they did mine in about 4 days.

janinlondon Thu 18-Sep-08 11:50:12

I swapped my paper licence for a card one in June - took it to the local DVLA (Wimbledon - sorry don't know where you are) and they sent me the new one in 3 days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now