Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tipping in India

(16 Posts)
LilRedWG Sun 07-Sep-08 11:57:12

Hi - my DH is currently in Delhi on business and is staying in a serviced apartment with a live in butler. He's is there for two weeks (half way through now) and his butler has been fantastic, so he wants to tip well.

Does anyone have any idea of what the appropriate tip would be?

TIA.

QuintessentialShadow Sun 07-Sep-08 12:01:06

I used to tip 15% of cost of service, for my chauffeur in India. More if he had gone beyond the call of duty and carried my shopping.

LilRedWG Sun 07-Sep-08 12:01:47

Hmm - not sure of cost, his company is paying.

QuintessentialShadow Sun 07-Sep-08 12:03:12

Is he full time? What are his workign hours like?

LilRedWG Sun 07-Sep-08 12:03:12

The apartment, including everything (including butler) costs his company £3,000/month.

QuintessentialShadow Sun 07-Sep-08 12:04:27

I would imagine that the butler has very low pay. Domestic staff gets very small salary. I reckon he will count on a good tip to boost his salary to a level he can live on.

LilRedWG Sun 07-Sep-08 12:05:03

Well, he makes DH and his colleague breakfast, irons their shirts (won't let them do it themselves), makes their dinner of an evening. He went with them to show them where the cashpoint was yesterday and wouldn't let DH carry the beer he bought. As I said, he's been a star, and apparently makes a mean chinese meal.

LilRedWG Sun 07-Sep-08 12:06:04

I think that's what I'm asking QS, as I've never been to India before - what counts as a good tip. In some countires is is £100 and in others £2.

QuintessentialShadow Sun 07-Sep-08 12:10:16

In that case, I would consider somewhere between 5.000 rupees and 11.000 rupees (65-£140). In cash. discreetly given in an envelope in the hand as they leave.

LilRedWG Sun 07-Sep-08 12:12:53

Thanks. Will let DH know.

I knew someone on MN would be able help out!

LilRedWG Sun 07-Sep-08 12:15:22

OMG - DH just told me that the guy is paid £60 per month. shock

LilRedWG Sun 07-Sep-08 12:18:41

They were thinking of £100 so in the right ballpark. Thanks again QS.

QuintessentialShadow Sun 07-Sep-08 13:23:57

smile No problem.

£65 is less than I expected, I was thinking he could be in the region of £80 per month. But I guess that is because he is domestic staff. Sadly, domestic staff are at the bottom of the ladder, both in terms of their caste, and in terms of education. Most maids can neither read nor write.

LilRedWG Sun 07-Sep-08 19:16:24

DH was saying that he is relatively well off, compared to some, as he has all of his board and lodging paid for (he has a room in the apartment), a lot of food paid for, and when nobody is staying in the apartment he has it all to himself.

QuintessentialShadow Sun 07-Sep-08 20:10:35

But most likely this means that he is sending money home to his parents. And if he is married, his wife lives with his parents, and he supports her too. It does not mean he is single with only himself to care for!

LilRedWG Sun 07-Sep-08 21:08:37

It's terrible isn't it. DH is off to Chennai on Wednesday and has heard that the situation is even worth there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now