Talk

Advanced search

Florida: Swimming with Dolphins

(9 Posts)
nelliesmum Thu 04-Sep-08 20:08:15

Going to Florida next year with In-Laws, SIL wants to buy a "swimming with dolphins" experience at Sea World for my two dd. They will be 3 and 5, I don't think I am keen from the ethical point of view but I am not going to get away with that one. I also think that they are far too young, she obviously does not, anybody got any thoughts/ experience please??

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 04-Sep-08 22:09:56

Is your SIL talking about Discovery Cove?. I ask this as they do swimming with dolphins.

Your SIL needs to be aware of the following, taken from the Discovery Cove website:-

"Guests of all ages are welcomed at Discovery Cove. To swim with the dolphins, however, guests must be at least 6 years old. This policy was established to ensure the cognitive and physical stature of the child. These factors are taken into consideration to ensure children are able to interact in a group social setting, accept instructions, and understand the trainer. Also, the physical size of the child is taken into account since he/she will be in water that is approximately 3 feet deep with large, powerful animals".

Have been to Discovery Cove, think both your children are too young for such a place. They'd get more enjoyment being elsewhere. BTW there is no discount for children at DC, they pay the same as adults (who also have to present photo ID on admission).

nelliesmum Thu 04-Sep-08 22:49:53

Oh Thank Goodness for that...I really don't want them to do it but it did seem churlish to say no.

Kbear Thu 04-Sep-08 22:54:29

Need to be 6 to swim with the dolphins at Discovery Cove - but it is an amazing day without the dolphin swim. If she wants to pay, let her take you there to watch the kids while you snorkel with the rays and tropical fish etc!

bellavita Thu 04-Sep-08 22:58:01

We had a fantastic day at Discovery Cove with the Dolphins in July. My boys are 11 and 8. But as others have confirmed children need to be 6 or over.

Kbear Thu 04-Sep-08 22:59:43

hey bellavita! I am pining for Disney World. I don't like the Real World now I've been there!!

bellavita Thu 04-Sep-08 23:04:40

Hello Kbear, have you booked to go back next year yet?

As this was our third year running, we are giving it a miss next year, but we did have a fantastic time.

Get thyself back next year!

It is nice to get yourself lost in all the magic of it all eh!

Kbear Thu 04-Sep-08 23:07:31

I have promised myself I would decorate the house next year instead but I am faltering and would so love to go back. Can't afford it so that is the reality of that!

bellavita Thu 04-Sep-08 23:13:20

Yeah I know what you mean. It cost us an awful lot more money this year with the flights as DS1 was in Yr6 and we could not take him out of school - wiped out my holiday account. But now he is in secondary school I doubt we will take him out in term time for future holidays so maybe we should just accept flights are going to be more expensive for us?

So we have said we will holiday in europe next year and this will enable me to build up funds again.

The boys actually want to go to California the year after, but we shall have to see.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now