Talk

Advanced search

Any recommendations for a hotel in Kerala?

(11 Posts)
bigTillyMint Thu 04-Sep-08 14:14:41

We are thinking about planning a trip to Keral next year with our DC - aged 9 and 7. Any recommendations or advice? We haven't been to India since pre-kids!

bigTillyMint Mon 08-Sep-08 13:57:18

bump!

StillOverHere Thu 11-Sep-08 23:55:20

We stayed in a beautiful resort hotel called the Kumarakom Lake Resort. The location is a little remote. It is in the district of Kottayam. It is in a really beautiful setting and right on the lake. The sunsets were out of this world. The pool is fantastic - it is a winding "river" through the grounds of the resort. You can book a room with swim out access from your door. The rooms were quite dark in decor but tastefully furnished. Beware the bathrooms are out of doors - but very luxurious. After my initial shock I actually quite enjoyed it!
We travelled there with my dd who was 8 at the time. She loved just being at the resort but there were plenty of activities and trips on offer. We were there for a wedding so did not try any. Here is a link here

bigTillyMint Wed 17-Sep-08 13:25:26

thanks SOH. How long did you stay there?

bellabelly Wed 17-Sep-08 13:35:10

Whereabouts are you thinking of going? We did a trip to Kerala (pre-kids) 2 years ago and stayed in some lovely places. We went in July/August which was Monsoon season (although the weather was actually lovely) and so hotel prices were bargain-tastic compared to high season.

bellabelly Wed 17-Sep-08 13:45:23

Bolgatty Palace, Kochin lovely BIG rooms, swimming pool, boat to main town. Beware of mosquito bites - we sat outside after dinner (we are smokers) and I stupidly got bitten. Lots.

Varkala We didn't stay here but used the facilities all teh time - it was FAB. Great dinners, great pool (with bar in the pool!) reckon would be my top choice if we go back to Kerala with the boys. we'd already booked and paid for our accommodation at a nearby guesthouse but the manager at teh Taj offered us a very cheap rate to stay if we wanted to switch.

bellabelly Wed 17-Sep-08 13:51:32

If money were NO OBJECT...Brunton Boatyard - didn't stay here but did eat fish and chips (to my DH's shame!)

bellabelly Wed 17-Sep-08 14:01:46

Periyar - we had 2 or 3 nights here and I loved it - in the middle of the Periyar reserve, on the lake, if you get the room at the end (far right) you get a verandah overlooking the lake - take binoculars so you can watch the wildlife. Bit pricy as I recall but worth stretching the budget for the location. You pay extra for boat trips, nature walks etc but I think all meals were included.

bellabelly Wed 17-Sep-08 14:02:25

I have to stop now as I am starting to TWITCH with envy - I want to go tooo!! Have a great trip.

VintageGardenia Wed 17-Sep-08 14:05:17

Oooh I have never been, but for about four years I have been longing to go and have intended to stay here. Have a wonderful time!

bellabelly Wed 17-Sep-08 14:12:24

Drool, that looks lovely. And if you time the trip right, you could take the DCs to watch the snake boat races

Am stepping away from the thread now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now