Talk

Advanced search

NYC with a baby in tow - what to do/where to eat ideas - please

(7 Posts)
MrsSprat Sun 31-Aug-08 03:58:47

In New York for 2-3 days week after next. Short-notice trip and coming down from Canada, so no jet-lag to contend with.

What suggestions do you lovely MNers have for me?

DH occupied during the day and DD is only 8 mo, so essentially looking for realistic, fun stuff to keep us busy and not too exhausted during the day/early eve with easy bottle/nappy-change stops.

If anyone's got baby-friendly hotel/ restaurant reco's/locations would love to hear them too, as we've not booked yet.

MrsSprat Mon 01-Sep-08 17:24:45

Agree - it wouldn't be my first destination choice right now, but seriously any suggestions are welcome - including:

Which sites are pushchair friendly or which would be better with a sling (which I can just about tolerate for a half a day)

I've been before briefly, but as carefree childless lady and I've not done any of the touristy stuff really.

MissusAD Mon 01-Sep-08 19:44:39

NYC not really built for baby entertainment but you're going at a great time of year and it will be easy to walk around with a stroller. So, good places to take your baby and spend time are

1. Central Park. Lots of babies in strollers here, esp up town.

2. The Zoo. Child friendly generally.

3. Coney Island, if you can be bothered with taking the ferry across.

4. The Cloisters which is way, way up town at the top of Manhattan

5. Brooklyn generally as its more family orientated.

As for hotels I think the larger more well known ones like Holiday Inn will be able to accomodate you with a baby, or if you're feeling like spending more money perhaps somewhere like the Roosevelt. Do check as some hotels don't allow guests under 18 at all (Hotel 17)

Have fun!

Portofino Mon 01-Sep-08 19:58:09

Have a look at Frommers
The website has a family accommodation section.

dinkystinky Mon 01-Sep-08 20:58:45

With a child that age, the Met is good (they can nap in the buggy while you get some culture in) - is a lovely walk through central park, via the little zoo (our daughter will love it - my DS just under 2 loved it when we went) to the Met. Oh - and lots of shopping while your DD is sleeping.

Most places are fairly child friendly - Chinatown in New York is something else! Loads of nice pizza and italian places (so something your baby can chew on if you want) too. If you want to go somewhere really special for a drink, try Metrazur in Grand Central Station (maybe midafternoon drink rather than evening if your child is an early to bed child)

We stayed at the Waldorf Astoria but there are loads of great hotels around there - Doubletree suites v popular with families, and there are plenty of apartment type hotels too.

Hope you have a great time.

MrsSprat Wed 03-Sep-08 22:56:01

Thanks all. That online Frommers Guide is very helpful, must remember that for other destinations too.

jojoisamum Fri 05-Sep-08 13:31:30

We've booked Radio City Apartments for our trip (DS will be the same age next year). It has the trimmings of a hotel but in your room you have a small kitchen area which I thought was good for bottles/weaning/breakfast time.

Hotel Beacon is the same but I think a bit more expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now