Talk

Advanced search

Money for trip to India - advice please.

(3 Posts)
bogwobbit Tue 26-Aug-08 16:55:42

I am going to India in just over two weeks for a 10 week trip, most of which is going to be spent teaching English in a school near Kalimpong in West Bengal.
Can anyone give me advice on how best to take money. I have been told that it is probably best to take either Sterling or Dollar traveller cheques. Is either type better than the other. Or would I just be best taking cash (dollars / sterling) and exchanging it for Rupees there.
Also, how easy would it be to get cash from my UK Bank account and how easy would it be to use a UK credit card to buy things.
Sorry for so many questions, but thanks in advance.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 26-Aug-08 17:56:04

Advice from the Foreign Office:-

Before you go

* get some local currency - order less common currencies a week in advance
* order a mixture of cash and travellers’ cheques
* write down the numbers on your travellers’ cheques
* write down your credit card numbers and expiry dates – leave a copy at home
* check your credit card is valid in the country you’re visiting
* note your credit card’s emergency cancellation phone number
* take enough money to cover emergencies

When you’re away

* familiarise yourself with the local currency as soon as you arrive
* don’t carry more money than you need for the day/evening
* if you need to carry a lot of cash ask your partner or friend to carry some for you
* keep a small amount of cash in your wallet and the rest in a secure money belt or inside pocket
* if you have several credit/debit cards, only take one out with you
* leave your cash, cards and travellers’ cheques in a hotel safe – check it is secure

Presumably a charitable type orgnaisation has set this up for you?. Do you have your visa?. I would talk with them as well re your own security and wellbeing whilst in India - you're doing a good thing but your own safety whilst there is paramount. Also would strongly suggest you read the travel advice on India from the FO.

bogwobbit Tue 26-Aug-08 22:57:28

Atilla,

thank you for your advice. Yes, I am going with a charitable organisation and they have been pretty helpful. It was them that recommended taking travellers cheques and I have been told that I will be able to cash them fairly near to where I will be staying. Ruppees are apparently (so I've been told by travel agens) a 'restricted' currency so I can only get them in India.
I have got a visa and the area I will be living in is reasonably 'safe' - I have been looking (from time to time) at the FO website to check and also at a local (to the area) English language website that gives news of what is happening in the area.
I think am just panicking a little bit in case I run out of cash when I'm out there, although I have got a new Abbey zero credit card to use, which is specifically for using abroad as there is no exchange fee. This is really just for emergencies but I just wanted to make sure tht places do accept credit cards and that it won't be a bit of a 'white elephant'.
Thanks again for your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now