Talk

Advanced search

Yorkiegirl and Anorak are heading to New York City. Advice on where to stay please!

(23 Posts)
Yorkiegirl Mon 25-Aug-08 21:16:11

Message withdrawn

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 25-Aug-08 21:22:11

I've stayed here:

Roger Smith hotel

It's quirky, sort of shabby without necessarily being chic, but very comfortable.

You can also get suites, which might be a good way to spend time in NYC.

Yorkiegirl Mon 25-Aug-08 21:48:56

Message withdrawn

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 25-Aug-08 21:49:56

Sorry - can't remember and my business paid for it, but I do remember that it seemed like very good value, given where it was based.

Worth giving them a call?

Christie Mon 25-Aug-08 22:17:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

choosyfloosy Mon 25-Aug-08 22:18:54

yorkiegirl, have a wonderful time!

wish i knew nyc well enough to be able to advise!

Califrau Mon 25-Aug-08 22:20:59

Yorkiegirl Mon 25-Aug-08 22:27:00

Message withdrawn

Jennster Mon 25-Aug-08 22:34:10

I've stayed here and loved it. The staff don't give a sh** and leave you to it. None of the stooping money grabbing lurches who expect a dollar for wheeling your suitcase 2 metres. It's right in the centre of greenwich village (the only hotel that is) and when we went wasn't particularly expensive, although I beleive it is more now.

Yorkiegirl Tue 26-Aug-08 08:48:15

Message withdrawn

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 26-Aug-08 09:01:40

Embassy Suites are a good chain of suite hotels (and they are part of the Hilton group).
Also they do a free cooked breakfast!!.

Weblink is below:-
embassysuites1.hilton.com/en_US/es/hotel/NYCNYES-Embassy-Suites-New-York-New-York/index.do

I'd buy tickets in advance from the box office online (you will need to present photo id when you collect the tickets) particularly if the show is popular.

You need also to be aware that the US will bring in their "Travel Authorisation" scheme from January - you will need to apply for each visa waiver online.

chelsygirl Tue 26-Aug-08 09:06:22

have a great time Yorkie!

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 26-Aug-08 09:15:06

We've stayed in one of the 'W' hotels out there. They have about 4 in NYC I think. Any particular area you want to stay in?

iloverosycheeks Tue 26-Aug-08 09:27:08

go on tripadvisor.com and read the reviews - it is my new addiction!

Yorkiegirl Tue 26-Aug-08 11:58:56

Message withdrawn

CountessDracula Tue 26-Aug-08 12:05:21

you could try Second Home on Second Avenue, a b&b
They ahve a big suite that can have another room tacked on to make 2 beds and living room. It is huge and v. comfortable. Bathroom a bit old! Nearest tube is Union Sq or 3rd Ave for the L

CountessDracula Tue 26-Aug-08 12:05:29

you could try Second Home on Second Avenue, a b&b
They ahve a big suite that can have another room tacked on to make 2 beds and living room. It is huge and v. comfortable. Bathroom a bit old! Nearest tube is Union Sq or 3rd Ave for the L

LucyJones Tue 26-Aug-08 12:06:36

wow am very envy
How did your holiday go by the way? And are you all ready for school?!!

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 26-Aug-08 21:36:06

There is a W in Times Square .
DH hasn't stayed there but his colleague/friend has, and liked it.

anorak Sat 30-Aug-08 03:54:36

OOh YG I have only just seen this thread.

Now that it is all being talked about it is getting quite exciting smile

It really is going to happen, isn't it?

Thomcat Sat 30-Aug-08 08:39:21

Could do a lot worse than the Soho Grand

Or the Hudson

Gramercy ?????

littlelapin Sat 30-Aug-08 08:43:54

Soapbox Sun 31-Aug-08 23:07:08

We stayed at the AKA times square recently in a two bed suite. It is on 44th street and broadway (ie 100 yards from the toys r us on times square).

It was well furnished and had a large kitchen area so that you can make the odd brekkie if you want to. There is free coffee and danish in the morning and free coffee/fruit/biscotti during the rest of the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now