Talk

Advanced search

OMG just been invited to spend xmas in hawaii!

(28 Posts)
PavlovtheCat Thu 21-Aug-08 22:38:38

Just had email from SIL in USA saying they have found a condo in Kona, would we like to go spend xmas there with them? shock.

I would love to go!!!

BUT, we already said we would go to NYC to see his other brother, and he is such a misery/tight he wont want to go to Hawaii on hols.

Oh dear. What to do? ! ? ! ?

What would you do?

sundew Thu 21-Aug-08 22:40:20

Go to Hawaii - do you have to think twice grin

you are one lucky cow - I wish I had the choice between NYC and hawaii

PavlovtheCat Thu 21-Aug-08 22:40:47

I am going to check flights first, of course. As we know we can afford NYC as it was a case of flights, and stay with him, not big attractions, just family xmas.

The place in Hawaii is apparantly $320 each (not sure if that is each or per couple/his mothe but whatever way it is reasonable). But it is likely to cost to get there isnt it?

Dior Thu 21-Aug-08 22:41:19

Message withdrawn

CvQuenched Thu 21-Aug-08 22:41:45

ill go to one and you go to the other.everyons happy thenwink

PavlovtheCat Thu 21-Aug-08 22:42:28

Sundew - I was just thinking, how up myself I might have sounded in my post! blush

I am not rich, or wealthy at all, just fortunate to have family abroad. And to them, Hawaii is just a hop on a plane rather than a huge trip.

I feel really lucky!

dizzydixies Thu 21-Aug-08 22:44:38

envy pavlov

can you not go to Hawaii via NYC? try to please everyone

did I mention envy

Dior Thu 21-Aug-08 22:45:35

Message withdrawn

PavlovtheCat Thu 21-Aug-08 22:48:08

I would probably do that, if we did go to Hawaii.

Its a bit complicated with family, as always, one brother of DH, long lost adopted brother, the one who wants us to go to hawaii. The other, his full brother who he has grown up with (of sorts, he went to boarding school) is the one in NYC.

They both have toddlers within 6 months of DD, so both are great to be with in terms of family relations, DD needs to build bonds with all of her family.

However, I am thinking I am not wanting to go to hawaii to build relationships. SIL mentioned a great beach!!!

If we go to NYC, it is for family, not holiday. BIL will probably be upset if we dont spend xmas with him. Unless it was to stay at home on our tod.

Unless MIL wants to go to Hawaii...hmm

dizzydixies Thu 21-Aug-08 22:50:31

good grief, who would have thought choosing between NYC and hawaii could be so complicated - sodding family politics angry

PavlovtheCat Thu 21-Aug-08 22:52:58

dizzy i know!

But. SIL and MIL had been talking about a family xmas. So if, they both want to do Hawaii, and so do we, then I am thinking we should just try to get other brother to bring his family...and then if he wont come, its sort of his call?

However, DH had already said we would be up for an easy straightfoward xmas of going to his apartment in NYC, stay for a week, come home, no messing about organising shit.

Except that when we said all that, Hawaii had not been mentioned hmm.

I am [angry[ too dizzy !!! grin

MarsLady Thu 21-Aug-08 22:53:40

I see CvQ has beat me to my comment! grin

Why not ask the NY brother what he feels about going to Hawaii (assuming he's invited that is)? I think it would be lovely for you all to be together. Failing that... see if you can swing it to go via NY (either on route or on the way home).

Again... as CvQ aptly put it... I could always do Hawaii for you and be the surrogate sister grin

PavlovtheCat Thu 21-Aug-08 22:54:12

Kona shock

stealthsquiggle Thu 21-Aug-08 22:57:38

Christmas in NYC, New Year in Hawaii grin?

envy - I love NYC at Christmas, and would love to go to Hawaii....

PavlovtheCat Thu 21-Aug-08 22:58:55

Mars - he is invited, but he is a stick in the mud. He likes to not do things that cost money, but he also likes to do not do things that involve family, its almost like not being centre of attention. He is just a misery about stuff like that. And he does not ever spend any money. Like for example, his wife is chinese, he had a chance to go to the olympic games, stay with family in Beijing - but no, he said it was a waste of money, why would he want to do that?!!!

A few years back, we went to france with DHs mum and dad, who came over fro USA for it. He did not want to go, just did not. Said it was a pain in the ass, blah blah blah.

And when we got there, he called every day, regretted it. More so, as his father died a few months after and it was the last chance for family to be together.

So, maybe we should just all go...and if he wants to come, he is invited, and if not, he can stay in the cold, in NY!!! grin.

I shall make a list of those in the queue to be me if I dont go, start heading up this way for entries!

dizzydixies Thu 21-Aug-08 23:00:02

<sigh> Pavlov sweetie, am going to have to hide this thread through fear of growing to dislike you grinwink

PavlovtheCat Thu 21-Aug-08 23:00:34

stealth see that would be grand would it not? I am not sure we can afford to be out there for that long sad...but...

SIL has just emailed me, and I have not replied yet. DH is out...and MIL is visiting on Monday. Maybe I should sound her out first...

stealthsquiggle Thu 21-Aug-08 23:03:12

Pavlov just think how much you would save on heating - at current prices that would pay for the Hawaii bit grin

PavlovtheCat Thu 21-Aug-08 23:03:26

Dizzy - sorry.

But can I just say

we could go whale watching there shock

abouteve Thu 21-Aug-08 23:03:54

Do both if possible. It's all in the same directions flight, price wise. Will be thinking of you whilst we freeze and do the same old.

You know what the thought of christmas again! Well I don't even want to go there.

MarsLady Thu 21-Aug-08 23:04:27

Oh go to Hawaii. Maybe he's changing and realising that it's the being with family that counts.

<<crosses fingers and hopes to get the ticket to Hawaii>>

PavlovtheCat Thu 21-Aug-08 23:05:11

stealth and I would not need to take much luggage - just a bikini or two for me, cozzie sun hat and rash vest for DD, some shorts and t-shirts for DH!

Oh and book or two...

<turns off all the heating and leccy now...>!!!

PavlovtheCat Thu 21-Aug-08 23:15:21

{shock] cant seem to find a flight from NYC to Honolulu for less than $1100 per person! shock. Xmas is very popular for Americans at christmas from what I have just been reading.

So, that is £500-£600 per person

UK, straight to Honolulu - same £500-£600 per person.

I dont think it is going to be cheap, although accommodation once there is not expensive.

<comes back down to earth with a thud>

PavlovtheCat Thu 21-Aug-08 23:18:37

Abouteve - do you know something I dont about pricing? hmm grin

PavlovtheCat Thu 21-Aug-08 23:23:35

OMG it takes 11 hours from NYC to Hawaii sad. I cannot stay on a plane with DD for that long. She will go NUTS. I will go NUTS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now