Talk

Advanced search

Anyone ever been to miami?

(14 Posts)
MrsSnape Mon 18-Aug-08 09:18:23

Have you ever been to Miami and if so, what did you think to it? worth the trip?

LIZS Mon 18-Aug-08 09:26:27

We flew into Miami years ago , stayed overnight, drove along Miami Beach and left ! Would n't bother again especially with kids.

SqueakyPop Mon 18-Aug-08 09:31:11

It's fine for a day.

cerys Mon 18-Aug-08 09:35:43

had a week there - nice beaches, went shopping. Wouldn't rush back there with kids, though there is a fabulous children's museum, which was a great day out.

I think if I was able to afford to go to Florida again, 2 weeks in Orlando would suit us better.

slinkiemalinki Fri 22-Aug-08 22:52:15

We enjoyed it for 4 days, but we like shopping and eating, has a nice vibe, but far better if you have childcare or long weekend without kids (swank hotels, restaurants and bars...).

babyOcho Fri 22-Aug-08 23:03:49

Miami with children or adults?

We fly into Miami a couple of years ago, and drove to key largo and key west and then in Miami for a couple of nights. We didnt have DD then and it was fun. South Beach is pretty.

Not sure what it would be like with children.

It was in Feb (or Jan) and quite warm and humid.

jojoisamum Sun 24-Aug-08 10:58:23

1 night pre-cruise was more than enough for us. May be look at Fort Lauderdale and take a day trip to Miami?

Thomcat Sun 24-Aug-08 11:01:29

I've been a couple of times. Once when I was 21 and we just did a couple of nights on the way to Key West.

Did it again about 9 years ago wit DP, but it was for the Miami Music Conference so wasn't like any other time. hole of Miami taken over by DJ's and music bods from all over world and it's like one big party / carnival / club. It was amazing. If it had just been plain old Miami I would have probably lost interest after a couple of days.

tiggerlovestobounce Sun 24-Aug-08 11:04:32

I've been there, loved it (that was pre-kids though, wouldnt fancy it with kids).
Easy access to the caribean too.

thirtysomething Sun 24-Aug-08 13:50:32

flown in twice with kids and spent day at south beach before driving on - very adult place but the hotels mostly have great pools and the beach is good so you could have a few days with kids but would be frustrating in a way as you wouldn't be able to cafe-hop and people watch at south beach. Outer Miami beach resorts can be quite nasty, so either stay at south Beach or go further away from Miami eg. Floriday keys or Fort Lauderdale. South beach is def worth a day though as sooo gorgeous!

bythepowerofgreyskull Sun 24-Aug-08 13:51:46

florida great with kids. Miami, not sure I would go with the kids. Mainly because there are more child friendly places to visit in Florida.

smartiejake Sun 24-Aug-08 14:09:19

Don't like Miami at all.
There are loads of much much nicer resorts in Florida especially on the Gulf coast where the beaches are stunning and the water lovely and warm.

Naples is lovely (close to the everglades which is fun) and we have also been further up nearer to Tampa in Sarasota (Bradenton and Anna Maria Island)

On the Atlantic coast I have heard that Bocca Ratan is lovely too.

MrsSnape Sun 24-Aug-08 15:09:47

Thanks for the replies. We're actually spending two weeks in Orlando but MIL fancies doing a miami/everglades trip. You basically get taken down to Miami from Orlando on a bus, have all your breakfast included, get to miami about lunch time...get a tour of the city and a harbour cruise and then get the evening to do whatever you want. (I assume you'd have to stay around south beach really.

You stay one night in hotel on south beach and then next morning you get taken to the everglades on an airboat ride/nature trail and then back up to Orlando.

It would be tiring but I was wondering if it was worth the trip to see the "famous Miami" since we're already in Florida...would be nice to see as much as possible.

Kids will be 8 and 10 at the time.

cheapskatemum Tue 26-Aug-08 22:04:33

Just back from Miami and it was very wet! Tropical storm Fay just loved it there. My 10 year old loved all the TV channels (probably not what you want to hear). He also loves mannatees, which you'd see on an Everglades trip. We love Sanibel/Captiva on the Gulf Coast: gorgeous sandy beaches, lovely shells & great seafood. Nearer to Orlando, and good for the beach, is the area around Cape Canaveral: Cocoa Beach & Merritt Island. DSs were able to boogie board in the surf and DH & I loved the pier - all faded, raffish charm (and great cocktails).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now