Talk

Advanced search

Where is the hottest place to go during October Half term?

(24 Posts)
MascaraOHara Thu 14-Aug-08 14:33:10

inspiration required..

Only want to go for 7nights so Australia is out but would consider up to 12 hour flight

Any suggestions? am open minded..

TIA

Bluestocking Thu 14-Aug-08 14:34:20

Upper Egypt (Luxor, Aswan) will still be as hot as hell in October.

palaver Thu 14-Aug-08 14:34:50

The Caribbean

MascaraOHara Thu 14-Aug-08 14:51:05

Carribean is looking driest but not ness hottest. Dominican Republic seems v cheap

Goa looks rainy as does Thailand (although rain % seems to dsrop massively in November and would be going very end of October)

I went to Egypt last year but Sharm, think back to Egypt might be a last resort

Sidge Thu 14-Aug-08 15:00:40

Florida? Should be nice at that time of year.

whooosh Thu 14-Aug-08 15:05:03

We are going to Crete but I wouldn't suggest booking where i did......blush

Slouchy Thu 14-Aug-08 15:07:54

Dubai?

isheisnthe Thu 14-Aug-08 15:24:25

deffo dubai - went last year and loved it - we went to to "beyond duba" with virgn and it was great - stayed at the merridan al alqa (os something like that) it was very plus.

Spent the same money this year in july for a SHITE holiday in greece ;-(

MascaraOHara Thu 14-Aug-08 16:29:45

Dubai looks expensive.. is it cheap once you are there?

CountessDracula Thu 14-Aug-08 16:33:05

here this tells you

Tobago is lovely

MascaraOHara Thu 14-Aug-08 20:48:43

excellent site CD - thanks.. I'm bookmarking that lol

silvermum Sun 17-Aug-08 21:19:08

Mascara what was sharm like? would you recommend it or not? there are certainly cheap deals in five star hotels, but i have a sort of feeling it might be too hot for my DH and DS who will only be 14 months, and i'm not sure what the resort is like? the hotels look great.

QuintessentialShadows Sun 17-Aug-08 21:20:36

How about Gran Canaria? Or is that maybe not exotic enough?

poshtottie Sun 17-Aug-08 21:24:10

Capetown, not been there myself but its on my list.

Dubai, I don't remember it been cheap.

Mexico, lovely.

QuintessentialShadows Sun 17-Aug-08 21:24:32

Sri Lanka is also great.

Neptune is a great hotel, which offers all inlusive packages. A totally fab spa just up the road.

silvermum Sun 17-Aug-08 21:31:16

oh yes, would definitely recommend cape town and Franshoek in the wineland area (an hour from cape town - absolutely fab...

poshtottie Sun 17-Aug-08 21:36:33

I don't think there is much (if any) time difference with S. Africa so there wouldn't be the jetlag to recover from.

KT12 Mon 18-Aug-08 11:08:59

We are off to Cape Town in October! Flights are not cheap, but life out there is, especially if you are travelling with Pounds. It won't be hot hot, but a comfortable dry heat. No humidity. The Western Cape has a Mediterranean Climate. The Whales will be around and there is loads to do. We have family out there so go at least once a year. Time difference - Cape Town is one hour ahead, so no jet lag.

slim22 Mon 18-Aug-08 11:24:44

deffo NOT dubai. Its a massive construction site, expensive and little to see appart from shopping malls.

For the same sort of vibe maybe marrakech and a couple of nights stargazing in the desert ?
That's just 3 hours flight.

South Africa oh yes! or tanzania/kenya safari?

Dominican republic has the most beautiful beaches and quite cheap.

Blu Mon 18-Aug-08 11:55:32

Mauritius

MuthaHubbard Mon 18-Aug-08 14:35:47

I was thinking about Sharm for the Oct hols actually, any good or not worth it?

Is Cyprus still quite warm during Oct?

MascaraOHara Tue 19-Aug-08 13:23:41

oh I'd forgotten about this thread.. gonna catch up on the posts I've missed... Thanks for those so far, I'm still looking

MascaraOHara Tue 19-Aug-08 13:28:11

Silvermum, I went 5* AI (first ime I've done AI) I went last week of August with my then 5yo.. it was HOT.. even in the evenings but that meant the water was lovely during the days..

it wasn't too hot as easy to get out of it and lovely on the beach with a cooler breeze.

I think August would deffo be too hot for a 14m old as dd spent most of her time jumping in the poll lol.. I'm not sure what the heat is like in October the only thing i was disappoitned with was the SHORT days, seemed to go dark really early.

and also I found the attention from the workers abit too much, it was constant, dd couldn't go anywhere or do anything without one of the staff shouting to her or talking to her and it just got a bit much.. even during dinner, everytime a waiter walked bast it would be "oh <dd's name>, my love, are you ok".. which sounds nice but imagine 10 waiters doing it EVERY time they walked past your table!!

on the whole though, very nice and VERY good value for money.

Mombasa or Zanzibar will be pretty hot in October. Certainly going on safari either here in Kenya or in Tanzania would for the most part be hot and dusty. But great fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now