Talk

Advanced search

30 hours in Singapore?

(14 Posts)
winniewoo Fri 08-Aug-08 20:38:39

Hi there. Stopping in Singapore for an overnight on the SIA programme. Staying at Swissotel Stamford. Myself, DH and 3 DS ages 8, 5 and nearly 3.
Can you help me plan to get the most out of our short stay? Arrival 5pm departing following night around 11.30pm.
Would like to do Zoo or Night safari but poss not both..which one or yes to both? Time for Sentosa island?
TIA

ShinyPinkShoes Fri 08-Aug-08 20:44:13

I would do the night safari rather than the zoo as it really is spectacular

You'd definately have time for Sentosa the next day, you can take the MRT and then a cablecar, bus or taxi, or just get a taxi straight there which would probably work out cheaper. (Taxi's dirt cheap)

Oh and shopping, don't forget shopping

Am very jealous as I love Singapore- I used to live there. Could soooo do with being back there right now!

winniewoo Fri 08-Aug-08 21:33:22

Thanks SPS!
Any more advice..where to eat..boat rides?? What not to miss and where is teh shopping good? Raffles..yea or nay?
Thanks in advance..sorry about all the questions!

ShinyPinkShoes Fri 08-Aug-08 21:41:56

T%he Duck Tour is worth doing, a little pricey by Singapore's usually inexpensive standards but great fun!

Duck Tours

Orchard Road is great for shopping, but right on your doorstep at the Stamford ( which by the way is my favourite hotel on the Island envy ) is the Raffles City Shopping Complex which is FAB!

Chinatown is also worth a visit Chinatown page on the Visit Singapore site

You are staying in a perfect location really as Raffles City interchange on the MRT is next to the hotel so you'll have no problem getting around. The jazz lounge and cocktail bar at the Stamford are great too- go right up to the top and the view is the best you'll find in Singapore

Can you tell I am jealous?!

poshtottie Fri 08-Aug-08 21:43:24

Orchard Rd for shopping

winniewoo Fri 08-Aug-08 21:52:20

Thanks to you both. Great links and good to know we have picked a fab hotel. Was way over budget but hey..you only live once!

poshtottie Fri 08-Aug-08 21:54:07

That hotel looks fab. Have a great time.

winniewoo Sat 09-Aug-08 08:30:37

Couple more questions!

been looking online at the Night Safari which looks amazing but not sure if my nearly 3yr old will enjoy and of course all depends on tiredness levels! If we opted for the zoo, when best time to go?? morning then possibly not too hot or is it hot all the time?!!

ShinyPinkShoes Sat 09-Aug-08 12:03:03

Night safari- there is a fabulous tram ride which takes you around most of it

Zoo- Try to avoid 11am-2pm in the real heat. Although you could easily stay in the shade at that time and have lunch in air con cafe.

For either-make sure that you take and apply insect repellant- they sell it at the shop there but there's a Watsons (chemist/pharmacy/fab fab shop) in raffles City on the ground/basement level which will sell more of a variety.

winniewoo Sat 09-Aug-08 13:14:34

Thanks again. All these little tips help heaps!

Uranus Sat 09-Aug-08 13:17:56

Definite vote for the night safari. My niece loved it at age 3.

Alternatively, if you do the zoo during the day you can have breakfast with the chimps (I think).

winniewoo Sat 09-Aug-08 14:24:43

Thanks Uranus..will look into that. Keep any thoughts or tips coming!

angel1976 Fri 22-Aug-08 23:00:15

One way to do both... Go to the zoo later in the afternoon (you can spend the morning shopping in the Raffles City vicinity so you can always go back to hotel to rest. If you go to the 4th or 5th floor on Raffles City shopping complex, there is a floor that has mostly kids' stuff, it's fab! If you go underground towards the MRT, the Singapore's tube system, there is an underground link to the new Marina Square Shopping Centre that is full of interesting shops as well. My DH used to think it is hilarious that there are shops in the underground tunnel, goes to show what shopaholics Singaporeans are! Marina Square itself also has kiddy shops.) After the zoo closes, go for the buffet at the Night Safari restaurant and re-charge. We had a great meal there and off you go to the Night Safari... ENJOY!

papooshka Thu 28-Aug-08 13:00:13

I live in Singapore and I would do the zoo over the Night Safari...just my opinion! The zoo is fab and has a really good water play area too so you could cool off in there (make sure you take towels and cossies for the kids). I hate zoos anywhere else but the Singapore one is really special I think.

The hotel you are staying in is fab and like someone else said the view from the top bar is great.

I would avoid Raffles hotel - well have a look at the front but its quite expensive there and not worth the Singapore Slings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now