Talk

Advanced search

It's a long time since I've been to the States - is it still impossible to use your mobile there?

(14 Posts)
handlemecarefully Tue 05-Aug-08 10:58:03

We will have a hire car from Alamo and I don't like to drive around without access to a mobile. When I last went to the States (about 8 years ago) UK mobile phones didn't work there (like they do in Europe and elsewhere f'rinstance)...Is that still the same?

WendyWeber Tue 05-Aug-08 11:04:37

Tri-band ones do, don't they?

handlemecarefully Tue 05-Aug-08 11:11:49

[hugely thick emoticon] - dunno what's a tri-band phone blush

Perhaps mine is one - it's a fairly swanky Sony Ericsson C902

WendyWeber Tue 05-Aug-08 11:13:18

I just got this from the Orange site. (Your swanky one isn't 3G though is it? If so it looks like it won't work...will try & find out for you smile)

<<Tri Band

If you have a Tri Band phone, you’ll be able to use 900 MHz, 1800 MHz and 1900 MHz. These phones will work on most European networks, along with some Networks in the USA, Canada, the Caribbean and South America.

Quad Band

If you have a Quad Band phone you’ll be able to connect to all four frequencies – 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, and 1900 MHz.

3G

If you have a 3G phone, it will work in Austria; Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.>>

handlemecarefully Tue 05-Aug-08 11:14:56

I'm such an aged luddite WendyW blush

WendyWeber Tue 05-Aug-08 11:15:51

Good news!

"As well as being 3G, it's a quadband GSM phone, so should be usable anywhere in the world."

(From here - lovely useful website!)

WendyWeber Tue 05-Aug-08 11:16:47

(You haven't got teenagers yet though have you, hmc? They will drag you kicking & screaming etc etc when they are old enough grin)

handlemecarefully Tue 05-Aug-08 11:17:55

WendyW you are a genius!!! - thanks smile

Well I shall look forward to their teenage years (I think...)

handlemecarefully Tue 05-Aug-08 11:19:03

(I didn't know all that about my phone - I got it for the camera! grin)

WendyWeber Tue 05-Aug-08 11:59:46

I've got K800i, the one before the one before yours also for the camera (although it's not a bad phone either!)

Which network are you on? If you go to their website & search for roaming you will find out how it works & charges smile

chelsygirl Tue 05-Aug-08 12:02:06

hi WW, does your k800i work in the US? I've got one/

WendyWeber Tue 05-Aug-08 12:09:00

I haven't been there to try it, cg, but it's tri-band so it should; not everywhere though, you need quad-band for that.

handlemecarefully Tue 05-Aug-08 15:47:28

Vodafone Wendy, thanks I'll take a look

Kbear Sat 09-Aug-08 09:53:01

when you get there go to Walmart and buy a TRAC phone for $13 and you just top it up in the usual way you would here.

If you want to use your own phone check check double check the call charges as we were charged £1 each call and for each minute so if the call took 10 seconds it was still charged £1.

Also switch off your voicemail, we racked up a bill because my stupid phone goes to voice mail after three rings so before I had a chance to answer it it had racked up the £1 on my phone and 80 p on DHs.

NO VIRGIN MOBILE YOU DIDN'T TELL ME WHEN I RANG UP, YOU DIDN'T MAKE IT CLEAR, YOU DIDN'T SEND ME A TEXT TO ADVISE ME OR SEND ME A LEAFLET. EVEN WHEN I CALLED FROM US YOU DIDN'T ADVISE ME. YOU ARE RUBBISH.

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now