Talk

Advanced search

Holiday with 4 month old - Japan or New England?

(7 Posts)
elportodelgato Tue 05-Aug-08 10:39:54

We are planning a 2-3 week holiday in October / November time this year and are trying to decide between Japan and New England. Does anyone have any tips about traveling to either with a baby who will be about 4-5 months old?

Thanks for any advice!

whooosh Tue 05-Aug-08 10:41:58

New England will be cheaper!
Also no language problems if you need to buy formula or food.
Shorter flight and definitely more child friendly.

I love Japan but really wouldn't have taken dd at 5 mts....

belgo Tue 05-Aug-08 10:45:12

In general I would say it's fairly easy to travel with a baby under the age of six months. It's easier if you are exclusively breastfeeding, then you don't have to worry about sterilizing bootles and clean water etc, and bfing does provide the baby with a bit more immunity.

Slings make life more convenient then a bulky pram, especially on a long haul flight and travelling around cities/nature areas.

If you co-sleep, life is easier still as you won't have to worry about cots, and it will provide your baby with continuation of routine.

As for Japan/New England, I have been to neither, but would love to go to Japan!

Bink Tue 05-Aug-08 10:45:24

Don't know about Japanese seasons, but New England so lovely in October.

elportodelgato Tue 05-Aug-08 10:51:59

Thanks for the super-quick responses!
I am exclusively bf-ing so have no concerns about that but we're not co-sleeping so cots is something I am thinking about.

We have friends who live in Tokyo so if we went to Japan we could stay with them for the first few nights and aclimatise ourselves a bit. But I am also leaning towards New England as we would at least speak the language and also I would LOVE to see the fall colours...

whooosh - why would you not recommend Japan with a baby?

belgo Tue 05-Aug-08 10:54:00

I think Japan would be fab if you have local friends to show you around and advice you what to do. It would be expensive though.

I'm sure New England would be great as well, very pretty at that time of year.

whooosh Tue 05-Aug-08 11:27:21

Oh don't get me wrong-you could take ababy to Japan-no problem,especially if you have friends there.I guess with a baby so young you could easily do all the things you would have pre-children. The flight time versus New England would put me off tbh if I had the choice you have.

New England at that time of year is beautiful.You must try to see the cranberry harvest

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now