Talk

Advanced search

Parking on a Street close to Tube Station on way to Heathrow

(20 Posts)
BlueberryPancake Mon 28-Jul-08 18:21:59

I hope my header makes sense... Has any of you ever parked on a free street parking close-ish to a tube station on Piccadilly line, on the way to Heathrow? Was it OK? Where did you park?

We are away for a month and can't really afford fee-paying parking, and the Tube is just going to be so hot, we don't really want to do it all the way from home, we live in the East end... Advice please??

TheBlonde Mon 28-Jul-08 18:30:37

what about getting a taxi?

mrsgboring Mon 28-Jul-08 18:31:11

Can't you get a bus? Surely far less hassle and risk of car getting trashed. Wouldn't want to leave a car obviously unattended for a month - it will I would think start to look neglected and attract vandalism.

hana Mon 28-Jul-08 18:31:46

do you really want to leave your car in an area you don't know for a month? at least if it's in your own neighborhood your friends/neighbours would see it? and let you know if any problems

Kif Mon 28-Jul-08 18:33:10

get tube to kings cross (or was it euston?) for heathrow express.

StellaWasADiver Mon 28-Jul-08 18:33:21

You're going away for a month and are prepared to leave your car somewhere instead of taking the tube - because it's too hot?

hmm

solo Mon 28-Jul-08 18:33:51

I definitely wouldn't do it. Get someone to drive you to the airport.

BreeVanderCampLGJ Mon 28-Jul-08 18:36:15

You want to park your car, in someone elses road, for one month whilst you go on holidays.

How rude.shock

MrsTittleMouse Mon 28-Jul-08 18:39:22

So you're planning on taking a parking space on the street for a month. And letting the residents with small children drive around and around to end up parking ages away and struggling with car sears and shopping because people who want easy access to Heathrow have taken all the places? hmm
I have lived in streets that have "easy access" to various shops, hospitals and public transport, so I might not be the least biased person that will reply on this thread.

PrimulaVeris Mon 28-Jul-08 18:39:23

A month? You're mad.

yes the tube is awful, but be prepared with lots of water and try to avoid peak period if poss

Cheaper and easier than a clamped or stolen car

babyOcho Mon 28-Jul-08 18:41:16

I agree with Bree - I'd be annoyed if someone not in the neighbourhood parked their car in my street and went away for a month.

We get commuters and shoppers parking in our road all the time and its problem.

Can you not get a friend to take you to the airport?

TheFallenMadonna Mon 28-Jul-08 18:42:13

Get the tube

hifi Mon 28-Jul-08 18:43:03

so you want to park your car then slog it to the tube, down hundreds of steps, lug your luggage on and off?
how many children and how much luggage?

couldnt someone drop u off in your car?

Turniphead1 Mon 28-Jul-08 18:46:12

Luckily, the streets anywhere near any tube stations are pay and display/residents parking, to stop people parking all day (or indeed all bloody month).

No offence, but if you can afford to go on holiday for a month, surely you could factor in a Heathrow Express ticket or a long stay carpark fee. The non-BAA ones that are offsite are a lot cheaper than the BAA ones.

I have gone on the Picadilly line from Finsbury Pk to Heathrow and it's fine. You get a seat and it's not that bad. Hope you are going somewhere cold...

BlueberryPancake Mon 28-Jul-08 19:06:27

Sorry about the misunderstanding. We have heard that some people rent out their own parking spaces (off street) and I wondered if any of you might have used this type of service before, and how it works, how did you find out about it, etc. This is much cheaper than parking at Heathrow long term! It sounds like a reasonable question to me, but I didn't write my initial message to reflect that. No, I wouldn't park my car on a street for a month!

Wow, I didn't expect to get crucified for this type of question. BTW, we are going to see my parents, who still haven't seen my two (under 3yo) children. Yes it is taking a huge chunk of our budget. The long tube journey will be followed by: 3 hours wait, and a 16 hour journey (three different flights, one international two connecting flights to get to our final destination at 5 am UK time.) we just thought that it MIGHT be an OPTION to drive and rent an off-street parking.

As for the taxi, our problem is that they are not keen on picking up the car seats. I know that taxis are exempt from having to have car seats, but I just don't think that it's safe. We are just looking at options, please don't crucify me again!

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 28-Jul-08 19:17:37

www.parklet.co.uk may be able to oblige but I have never used them.

If that for whatever reason does not suit, I'd look into finding a more helpful taxi service.

MrsTittleMouse Mon 28-Jul-08 19:23:44

Ah I see. I think that most parking spaces are rented on a 9-5 basis long term. It's worth a try though.

Turniphead1 Mon 28-Jul-08 19:43:20

Sorry - didn't mean to crucify. Know what you mean - the whole car seats thang is a nightmare. Have had a real problem with taxis that I book for airport runs and they swear they will bring carseats then don't.

Have you not got anyone - student, babysitter, v nice friend who can drive you in your car if you put them on your insurance for the day. Cheaper than parking?

Flossish Mon 28-Jul-08 19:45:16

would you feel happier in a black cab where you could put the buggy in the car? no-one who could drop you off for payment?!

TheBlonde Mon 28-Jul-08 19:46:53

I have used minicab firms that will bring their own car seats for you if you don't want to take yours

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now