Talk

Advanced search

malaria drugs and vaccinations for Africa

(8 Posts)
Communion Mon 28-Jul-08 17:00:14

I am hoping to take my sons to Uganda next year. They will be 7 and 10yrs. I have never been to Africa.

What are the risks with children taking malaria drugs? Should I avoid a malaria area and consider somewhere like Cape Town instead?

What other immunisations will they need, and what potential problems are there with this?

This will be a first trip to africa for us all so any knowledge will be helpful for my planning.

Nagapie Mon 28-Jul-08 17:03:30

Immunisation vs hepatitis would be a no brainer ...

I think you would need to make an appointment with the nurse at your doctor's surgery who will have the info on hand and will give you a better idea and up to date info as to what you need ... especially in relation to malaria...

Communion Mon 28-Jul-08 18:13:39

Come on, some one must know something..

can children take malaria drugs?

Blandmum Mon 28-Jul-08 18:18:20

you must take approriate anti malarials

kids can take some, but I don't know the details.

My uncle is in hospital with malaria again and he should bloody well know better as he is an expert in tropical medicine ffs!

nothingcompares Mon 28-Jul-08 19:40:27

For anti malarials I can recommend Malarone which my family has taken often including DS's taking Malarone Pediatric with no side effects or problems. They are really expensive though!

Vaccinations...make sure everything is up to date - BCG, diptheria, whooping cough, tetanus,whooping cough, meningitis, Polio, MMR, hepatitis, Typoid and they will mention yellow fever as well I am sure. Excuse spelling, no medical background but we holiday in Africa often so I am an old hand at thinking about this for my DS's.

Communion Mon 28-Jul-08 19:42:42

How old are your Ds's NC?

Have you been to Uganda? Where in Africa do you go with the children?

Please tell me all, I am planning at first time trip to Africa.

KT12 Mon 28-Jul-08 21:09:49

Communion

I spent 7 months travelling in Africa about 10 years ago and spent about 3 weeks in Uganda. I was single and child free then. I loved Uganda and found the people fab but personally I would not take my child to Uganda or surrounding countries if I did not have family or close friends living there. I know Cape Town well and think it would be a much easier option but a different experience.

nothingcompares Tue 29-Jul-08 09:05:58

We have spent safari holidays in Africa since DS's were 6 months old - to be honest I haven't considered Uganda. Having said that I don't know much about the country.

We tend to stick with the most stable countries with the least personal safety concerns (like Namibia, Botswana, Zambia and until recently Zimbabwe). South Africa is lovely for holidays but not for heading off the beaten track, (which we love to do) because of the high crime rates, better for organised holidays.

I find the foreign office travel advice website very helpful: www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and-living-overseas/travel-advice-by-country/

If this link doesn't work www.fco.gov.uk in the travelling and living abroad section.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now