Talk

Advanced search

Tips for flying to Thailand

(12 Posts)
littlemissbull Sun 27-Jul-08 12:43:04

I am looking for advice on flying to Thailand. I am likely to be going in January with a toddler who will be aged 27months.

Has anyone any suggestions on best route/airline to do? Best time to leave UK and arrive Bangkok given time differences?

My child did fly to Australia via Singapore when she was 5 months old and was very good both on the flight and with the jet lag. Obviously different ball game now.

Any tips/advice greatly appreciated

littlemissbull

NicMac Mon 28-Jul-08 17:51:38

We went with Ethiad and the times were great as we arrived in BKK at 6.00pm and landed in LHR at 7.00 pm so straight to bed and little jet lag. Ethihad were very good and the 2 hour change in Abu Dhabi worked out better than a long 13 hour flight for us. Have agreat time

moondog Mon 28-Jul-08 17:54:20

It's shit no matter when where and how yuo fly. Accept that and it becomes easier.

littlemissbull Tue 29-Jul-08 18:03:58

Thanks!

It would be easier for me to leave from Manchester and if I can avoid Heathrow I'd rather.

Anyone flown with KLM. I can do Manchester-Amsterdam-Bangkok.

The times aren't great. Think jet lag inevitable

suedonim Tue 29-Jul-08 18:18:20

We used to travel Scotland-Amsterdam-Singapore-Jakarta with KLM and they're awful. Dh had to fly with them recently and says they've not improved. sad We almost always fly BA now and don't have any complaints.

hifi Tue 29-Jul-08 18:19:49

going out we usually go a.m and suffer thru the day, comming back i would definately get a flight where you land early evening u.k.

we arrived 7am this year, dd had had 8 hours sleep on the flight, went to sleep at 2pm them woke at 2am. it took a week to get her bac to normal.

loo into flying a better class on the way back, makes a huge difference.

if travelling on from Bk then i would also book with same airline so you are covered in any delays.u

NicMac Tue 29-Jul-08 19:17:15

KLM are pants, Ethiad fly from Manchester too I think. Or try Emirates, they fly via Dubai from MAN.

elizabethsmum Wed 30-Jul-08 22:51:52

We recently flew to BKK via dubai with Emirates from Birmingham- with our 28mo DD. 3 hour stop over each time making total journey about 15 hrs. Had a night flight both ways- left Birmingham at 9pm- arrived Bangkok 7pm ish- dd asleep for about 6 hours of flight and asleep at 1am Bangkok- but no real jet lag for her after that- woke about 9am next morning.

On the return leg, flight left at 1am Bangkok, arrived back in birmingham 12.30pm, dd in bed at 7pm (having slept about the same total time on the flights).

Found emirates to be pretty good- (4th trip to Thailand although 1st with dd). Much better than KLM IMO. Dubai airport- get complimentary strollers also.

HTH

littlemissbull Sun 03-Aug-08 11:40:45

I've booked with Air France Man-Paris-Bangkok. The times were the best I could find I think. Thanks for all replies and I will update mums netters on what they were like afterwards

3littlefrogs Wed 06-Aug-08 18:54:18

Have a look at Thai Airways and EVA air. I have done both and found them very good. I couldn't face the thought of a stop over with 3 dcs, so opted for the 12 hour direct flight.

There is no easy way TBH - you just have to grit your teeth and hope for some sleep, some of the time.

When my youngest was 2 she was terrified of the noise the toilet made when flushed. On a 12 hour flight this happens roughly every 4 minutes..................

If you think this might be a problem, try and get a seat as far from the loo as possible.

3littlefrogs Wed 06-Aug-08 18:55:22

Ooops - just realised you have already booked. Do let us know how it went. I will be going next year so would be very interested.

littlemissbull Thu 14-Aug-08 20:38:48

3 littlefrogs

I will let you know of course but by Jan next year this thread will probably be lost so how is best to do that?

Littlemissbull

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now