Talk

Advanced search

Would you pay more to fly Singapore Airlines to Australia instead of Emirates?

(19 Posts)
copycat Fri 18-Jul-08 09:50:53

I'm still deliberating over my flights blush. Would you pay £350 more (in total for 4 passengers) to fly economy with Singapore Airlines rather than fly with Emirates? Overall departure and flight times are similar but Singapore Air fly from Heathrow and Emirates fly from Gatwick which is much more convenient for us. Generally Singapore Airlines seem to get much better reviews than Emirates (they have a 10 across seating plan in a lot of their aircraft rather than the usual 9) and the two flight times are more even whereas Emirates fly via Dubai (which is only 7 hours) and then there is a much longer onward flight to Aus. Hmmm ... indecision syndrome prevails grin

Seeline Fri 18-Jul-08 09:52:58

I flew Singapore to Australia (ok 7 years ago) but they were brialliant. Really well looked after ( I was 4mths pg!) and the plane was comfortable. The transfer at Singapore worked really well too.

tinierclanger Fri 18-Jul-08 09:54:07

Have only flown as far as Singapore with each airline, but they were both very good. If the prices were v similar I would pick Singapore Air, as yes they are probably the best airline I have flown with, but I wouldn't pay that much extra for them.

madcows Fri 18-Jul-08 09:58:13

I flew Emirates last year, with a 9month old (on my own) to Oz. I wasn't impressed on the way out. I got a bassinet seat next to the window, which meant I couldn't stand up and hold baby. Had to clamber over neighbour (who refused to swap me), and Emirates refused to swap me for the second leg. Staff were v mixed. Better on the way back - but that was only because the flight was pretty empty. Dh has just got back from India on Emirates, and also said staff were v mixed.
So - I'd be tempted to go Singapore which always gets good reviews.
goodluck!
madcows

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 18-Jul-08 10:12:25

Copycat,

I'd go with Singapore airlines and pay the extra £350. You'll get better service on Singapore besides which its also worth it as you won't then need to transfer via Dubai (a truly nasty airport to transit).

Elk Fri 18-Jul-08 10:21:40

I flew emirates to australia last year. I have never flown with SIngapore.

We did have a few problems.
We had a bulkhead seat as travelling with a toddler and a baby. On one take-off a member of the cabin crew insisted that dd1 (3 years) couldn't sit on a bulkhead seat as it was a safety passage and she had to sit behind us.

Also on only one of the six flights did they agree to hold back one of the parents meals so that we could take in turns to hold the baby while we ate.

DonDons Fri 18-Jul-08 10:23:26

have never been on emirates but have flown to Oz twice with Singapore and they were fantastic, Very clean, efficient, lots of leg space (in cattle class), nice food, lots of drinks etc etc

copycat Fri 18-Jul-08 10:45:30

Wow thanks for such a quick response ladies. All your comments and insight is really helpful and MUCH appreciated smile

samgeordie Sat 19-Jul-08 17:19:13

We recently flew with Emirates to Brisbane and I thought they were brilliant, were so attentive to our 3yr old, staff were great, flights on time, comfy seats, food great and plenty of it. I would highly recommend them. We used them as were flying from Glasgow and wanted to avoid going via Heathrow. We have flown with Singapore twice but that was over 5yrs ago, again though they were very good. I guess it depends on the convenience and flight times. Both are great though.

23balloons Sat 19-Jul-08 18:03:42

Have flown Emirates, they seated my then 5 year old on his own 4 rows behind us on every leg and we had to try and arrange swaps with other passengers. The length of the flight from Dubai to Sydney was the worst I have been on on a trip to Oz I think it was 13-14 hrs and I really didn;t like Dubai Airport. People all over the floor, washing their feet in the toilets etc. Overall the journey was OK but definitely wouldn't choose to change in Dubai again on a flight to Oz.

I suppose it depends how much you can afford the extra £350. I found BA far worse than Emirates though

olyoly Sun 20-Jul-08 18:11:33

I flew California to Indonesia with Singapore and it was wonderful. We travel often (with children) and Singapore is the best airline in economy.

Anna8888 Sun 20-Jul-08 18:15:02

I flew Emirates once, 7 years ago, from Casablanca to Abu Dhabi. It was horrible and very scary - the plane was full of Moroccan prostitutes working the male travellers. Have never flown Emirates again.

mckenzie Sun 20-Jul-08 22:57:10

worth the extra just to have the change over in Singapore in my opinion. Dubai is not a pleasant airport but Singapore is FAB.

HeadHeartorHormones Sun 20-Jul-08 23:28:47

I've flown with both and do think Singapore Airlines is worth the extra. I don't know your flight times but a big disadvantage of a seven hour flight is that you won't be treated like a long-haul passenger on it. Singapore Airlines get you on, know you're there for at least 14 hours and really try to make it as restful and painless as possible. (Even get a lovely little box of nibbles for when you are watching the movies). Food much better with SgAir too.

Singapore also makes a great short stopover if you can afford the time.

jennyroper Wed 23-Jul-08 22:23:14

oh my God, no contest. Singapore Airlines every time. Have travelled Emirates, Air NZ,Qantas and Sing Airlines all from either oz or nz to england with my son and singapore were head and shoulders above the rest. There is more space and they are extremely helpful and accommodating. last time i flew sing i was travelling alone with my 21 mth old son and pregnant with twins. The bassinets were all booked up, the flight was packed and I had no spare seat next to me (imagine my dread). They organised to move me to about the only space with a spare seat for my son and served us our meals before everybody else. All of them were always offering help and I can honestly say the extra inch or so of leg room they have over the other makes the difference of getting some sleep. I can't reccopmmend them highly enough.
Emirates were among the worst, not least because of the stopover time and their indifference towards young families travelling with them.
good luck, remember the end is always in sight from the minute you get on the plane!

moondog Wed 23-Jul-08 22:27:23

It depends on the day. Ihave just come to Bangladesh alone with 4 year old and7 year old and all Emirates staff and facilties delightful.

TeriHatchetJob Tue 05-Aug-08 03:18:05

I'm in Bali at the moment having come via Singapore and flew Singapore Airlines.
the 12 hours to Singapore was so easy (dcs 8 and 11).

Even with the person in front having their seat back the whole time I had plenty of room and I'm a tall gall with long legs!

The service was exceptional. The food was delicious and there was plenty of it. Am almost looking forward to the flight home (not really).

suzywong Tue 05-Aug-08 05:35:51

as non doubt everyone has said
YES
we always fly Singapore airlines, well of course dh does more than me now - he takes it to NY and LA as well. He loves them. Or does he love the exquisitely petite ladies in those nicedresses.

Yes yes yes to Singapore.

superloopy Tue 05-Aug-08 05:39:33

YES! smile
Do it! You won't regret it at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now