Talk

Advanced search

Question about Gatwick airport. soft play and how to entertain lively 3.5 yo for 3hrs.

(5 Posts)
Callisto Mon 14-Jul-08 12:32:03

Hi all, DD, DP and I will be flying long-haul from Gatwick in September. Check in is 3hrs before the flight, but I notice that there is a soft play area at the airport which might while away some time plus run off some excess energy. However, can one go to that bit of the airport once checked in as it seems to be in a completely different part, and is it worth it? If it is dirty and desease-ridden I'd rather steer clear.

I'm a born-again long haul/airport virgin as it is so long since I've flown, so any tips/suggestions etc gratefully received.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 14-Jul-08 13:36:28

This may assist:-

South Terminal Children's Facilities

Feeding/Changing: Specially equipped rooms for feeding and changing babies are indicated by either a 'bottle' sign or a baby care symbol. Other changing facilities are provided on route to the gaterooms, in the transfer area and after passport control on arrival. There are fold-down tables provided in some male and female toilets.

Play Area: A children's play area is provided free of charge for children between two and six years of age. It is located in the South Terminal Village on the third floor.

(My comments - this is very, very basic and won't keep her occupied for very long. Its airside near the shops. It was not clean the last time I saw it at Easter).

North Terminal Children's Facilities

Feeding/Changing: Specially equipped rooms for feeding and changing babies are indicated by either a 'bottle' sign or a baby care symbol. Other changing facilities are provided on route to the gaterooms, in the transfer area and after passport control on arrival. There are fold-down tables provided in some male and female toilets.

Play Area: This terminal doesn't have a children's play area but it does have video games in the Airside Departures lounge near the Red Lion Pub.

Would suggest you look around the shops, have something to eat and find some seats near the window and watch the aeroplanes.

Sidge Mon 14-Jul-08 13:43:06

We used that play area last October - it was clean but is tiny and very basic. I would say it's more suitable for 4 and under - a 6 year old would be bored stiff! Even then it wouldn't hold a 3 year old's attention for long, I think.

Callisto Mon 14-Jul-08 14:11:40

Thanks for the feedback. We are flying from the south terminal so hopefully it will be fairly clean when we are there (morning flight). Any experience of the Fingerbox play tables and are they as crap as they sound?

SunshineSmith Mon 14-Jul-08 14:23:40

I was in the South Terminal with my kid last month and to my dissapointment we couldn't find it! It was tucked away in a litte corner with seats for the parents before near the Airline lounge areas.Bah! Has anyone been there since?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now