Talk

Advanced search

What to wear on long haul trip?

(16 Posts)
TeriHatchetJob Wed 09-Jul-08 13:12:14

In just over a week I'm off on a 13 hour trip to somewhere where I won't need a cardi, and I'm trying to travel light.

What have you worn on such a flight that has worked?

Wearing a tracksuit for example for comfort is not an option as it will be too hot for that on landing. Would a summer skirt just get too creased and would I be a bit chilly at 35,ooo feet for that.

As I said, what has worked for you?

brokenbiscuits Wed 09-Jul-08 13:39:25

Darkish colours rather than whites, no linen, yes take a cardi or wrap - when the aircon goes on in the plane it gets cold. Flat shoes, don't take them off, you won't be able to get them back on.

Have a lovely time.

toodlepips Wed 09-Jul-08 18:50:21

leggings roll up to almost nothing if they're not thick ones...

mosschops30 Wed 09-Jul-08 18:53:43

i normally wear linen trousers, then a cool top or vest with a cardi over that I can just sling in the suitcase or in my flight bag when I get there.
At least then u can keep warm on the plane when they zap u with the air-con

iBundle Wed 09-Jul-08 18:55:25

leggings good idea under skirt/dress
also fluffy socks, cashmere if you have them
i'd wear something like birkenstocks that you can get on when feet are swollen
a light shawl/pashmina would be useful

TeriHatchetJob Wed 09-Jul-08 19:26:49

Thank you all.

I think I'm going with the linen trousers (I know they will be soooo creased at the end but, hey) and a vest top and I'll succumb to a light cardi which I can put in my flight bag after.

Oh, and the socks of course.

Thankyouandgoodnight Thu 10-Jul-08 14:57:57

You really should wear FLIGHT SOCKS - you buy them in Boots and they are designed to keep your circulation moving during long periods of immobility / long haul flights and help prevent DVTs (Deep Vein Thromboses). You wear them instead of normal socks, they're tight and go up to the knee.

The added bonus is that your legs will barely swell at all and you'll have no trouble getting your shoes on again at the end. I cannot stress how important they are.

SNoraWotzThat Thu 10-Jul-08 15:07:01

I have used them and they worked a treat, but didn't look so hot with a skirt!

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 10-Jul-08 20:05:09

If it's that long a flight, I would take something like a track suit to change into for the flight. Then you can carry with you clothes that are appropriate to your destination to change into.

Virgin give you sleep suits on Upper Deck for this very reason. Other airlines only do it if you travel first class.

Definitely more important to be comfortable and warm than looking stylish when it's that long a flight!

CountessDracula Thu 10-Jul-08 20:06:51

I usually wear jeans and then take some lightweight trousers or a skirt to change into before arrival.

Plus layers on top so you can add/take off as appropriate

domesticslattern Thu 10-Jul-08 20:30:31

Another vote here for flightsocks. I find jeans hideously uncomfy- much better in tracksuit and then get changed just before arrival. Have a nice time!

Bink Thu 10-Jul-08 20:37:08

Just to second bundle ...
When pashminas started being the rare & luxurious rage, that's what they were always said to be for - weightlessly wrapping yourself up in as protection from frigid air-con in flight, stashing away to nearly nothing when not in use, swirling around to look stylish at your destination while covering up who knows what decimation of crumpled linen.

Now that you can get pashminas (or as good as) for pennies at every Sock Shop, I would definitely have one of those with you.

hifi Thu 10-Jul-08 20:49:07

i have a huge pash, we all go under it, dd then has it over her in room when we have a/c on full blast.
i travel on long haul in jeans then put very thin jersey pants on for the flight, then change back.
i also have sunglasses at the ready to use as a hair band incase of hair disasters.

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 10-Jul-08 20:52:46

Another thing on a long flight that really helps is to take a change of underwear.

Are you flying economy or going business class? If the latter - and/or if you have access to a lounge - I sometimes take advantage of the facilities by having a shower before the flight. Having freshly washed hair means it stands more of a chance of looking half decent when you reach your destination.

TeriHatchetJob Thu 10-Jul-08 21:44:10

Thaks for the further replies - all appreciated.

Yes, we're all wearing flight socks but I was going to put warmer ones over the top too - (oh so glamourous).

Fresh underwear is a must of course and the pash is sounding really good instead of the cardi.

Lola234 Mon 21-Jul-08 11:22:04

casual dress with pumps and a suitable bag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now