Talk

Advanced search

Relocation to LA

(27 Posts)
Bertolli Sun 06-Jul-08 22:47:37

i know it's a long shot, but has anyone on here relocated to LA?

If so, could you give me any inside info/ tips/ how life is different? (We are Londoners at present)

My dh has a work opportunity, i think we should go for it but he thinks will be very hard to get visas. is that true? How does it work if you want to go, even for as little as 6 months to a year?

(we have done short work trips there before, really loved the place where we were)

TIA

expatinscotland Sun 06-Jul-08 22:52:45

Better you than me, is all I'll say.

I'm a dual national - American/British and I found LA a shithole myself.

Bertolli Sun 06-Jul-08 22:55:01

place called Manhattan Beach. Do you know it?

expatinscotland Sun 06-Jul-08 22:57:25

no, i lived in passadena for a while.

nice area, CalTech.

still didn't care for the people much.

Bertolli Sun 06-Jul-08 23:00:04

Mmm... why's that?

expatinscotland Sun 06-Jul-08 23:02:02

Not the friendliest, most down to Earth bunch, IME.

DKMA Sun 06-Jul-08 23:04:39

I used to live in Corona Del Mar, Orange County, it would be a bit of a comute to LA but much nicer area imo. LA is a bit of a dump tbh.

Bertolli Sun 06-Jul-08 23:13:37

Hi DKMA. Are you a Brit?

if so, how was the upheaval from UK to US?

DKMA Sun 06-Jul-08 23:16:53

I am a Brit but my parents are American so have lived / spent a lot of time over there so never seemed much of an upheaval, although I remember coming back to the UK in the 80's thinking it was shit because I couldn't get froot loops anywhere!

Bertolli Sun 06-Jul-08 23:17:53

smile

Bertolli Sun 06-Jul-08 23:19:38

My kids love the "fish" soup crackers smile

Bertolli Sun 06-Jul-08 23:21:08

is it as hard as dh says re getting visa?

DKMA Sun 06-Jul-08 23:22:19

My mum lived in Ventura and also Thousand Oaks for a while - both were nice, But I just love the Corona Del Mar, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach area - best days of my youth spent down there grin

expatinscotland Sun 06-Jul-08 23:22:28

it can be quite difficult, but not so much for some people going there to work, depending on the field they're in.

DKMA Sun 06-Jul-08 23:23:40

I don't know about getting a visa - I always used to have a green card but had it taken off me as I'd been out of the country for too long. As my parents are US citizens I can get a visa fairly easily.

expatinscotland Sun 06-Jul-08 23:25:31

are you not entitled to citizenship by decent, DKMA?

my daughters have it through me and they've never set foot there in their lives.

Bertolli Sun 06-Jul-08 23:25:44

Sorry chaps, what a div, Manhattan Beach is not LA. D'UH!!
i was wondering why the neg reaction. We have been b4 and is v nice little place..

DKMA Sun 06-Jul-08 23:27:08

I've never looked into it Expat - I'm not bothered tbh, I don't think I'd ever want to live there as a working adult anyhow hmm

expatinscotland Sun 06-Jul-08 23:27:51

Here, here, DKMA. There's no way I'd ever live there as a working adult.

I've not been there in years.

Bertolli Sun 06-Jul-08 23:41:35

oh well, that's told me then wink

Earlybird Sun 06-Jul-08 23:44:56

Try asking the ladies on this thread:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/2423/505824

Most of them have relocated to America, and might have some valuable advice.

Bertolli Sun 06-Jul-08 23:46:55

Thanks so much Earlybird how kind of you x

DKMA Mon 07-Jul-08 13:27:59

Bertolli I didn't mean that to sound rude! It's just that the work / life ratio in the states is a bit odd imo. Annual leave is bare minimum and employment law seems heavily weighted to the employer.

smartiejake Mon 07-Jul-08 13:57:03

My uncle lives in LA in one of the nicer parts. He is a professor at UCLA and I remember him telling me that the state schools were truly dreadful in LA.

TheHolyGrail Mon 08-Sep-08 18:27:22

Manhatten Beach / Hermossa Beach are all lovely areas - well they were about 10 years ago!! Its not really LA - on the coast and quite near LAX. Beach type bars and cafes, walking / skating along the coast path, great envy of you. Did a few trips there week or so at a time.

Stayed at the Portofino Inn - marina based hotel v. nice. Ooh - remembered Cheesecake factory is nearby. Big shopping Mals nearby which are good. Memories......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now