Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for the caribbean with a 2 year old and a 5 month old??

(17 Posts)
Thankyouandgoodnight Sun 06-Jul-08 22:36:30

Can anyone recommend a particular island or resort where we could spend a week happily with a 2 year old and a 5 month old. Evening wise we would have to have the ability to eat on our terrace without waking the kids up...so a suite / apartment king of affair I think.

We'd be going at christmas time too - do you think temeprature wise it would be manageable or a nightmare keeping everyone out of the sun??

LAlady Mon 07-Jul-08 14:09:07

I'd recommend Barbados - Turtle Beach Resort or Crystal Cove. We have been to both resorts twice each and they are superb for children. We have taken them as babies and toddlers and were there last year (age 6 and 4).

They are both part of the Elegant Hotels Group.

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 07-Jul-08 21:24:53

Can also recommend Turtle Beach - have been there about 5 or 6 times now.

saggyhairyarse Mon 07-Jul-08 21:27:26

I would recommend the First Choice Holiday Village, Dominican Republic or the Iberostar Paraiso del Mar Beach Resort near Playa de Carmen.

Thankyouandgoodnight Mon 07-Jul-08 22:29:02

Thank you for these - I will sit on their websites tomorrow. Did it all work out ok in the evenings or were you chained to a bedroom?

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 08-Jul-08 18:08:51

When they were younger, the real issue was jet leg, which we suffered from in the first couple of days, so we tended to eat dinner together in the restaurant at about 7 - 7.30, and then go to bed at around 9.

DS2 was the one who suffered most (think he was about 6 the first time we went), and was often asleep with his head on the table!

You can have room service, but we preferred to be in the restaurant, tbh.

Probably the best thing is to go for a suite, where there is a separate bedroom, then you can eat in the lounge area, or on your balcony if you prefer, whilst the children sleep.

copycat Tue 08-Jul-08 22:16:50

Another vote for Turtle Beach Resort smile
The weather varies a lot in the Caribbean at Christmas. The Bahamas and Turks and Caicos Islands for example can be very cool. We've been to the Dominican Republic and Mexico at Christmas and the weather was great - the DR was hotter but more windy and Mexico (last Christmas) was a lovely temperature - just perfect. However, I understand that the following week after we left was quite cold.
You might like to go to the Caribbean on Line discussion forum and/or check out their weather pages. Incidentally the hotel we stayed at in Mexico was absolutely lovely: Barcelo Maya Palace You can find lots of reviews and photos for the hotel here

SNoraWotzThat Wed 09-Jul-08 13:46:31

The Verandah Resort in Antigua has junior suites, open plan living area, private verandas. Part of the elite island resorts

If there is room service, which there is in most 4 star Caribbean hotels, you'll have the opportunity to eat on the terrace.

For something other than a fancy 4 star all singing and dancing resort, Blue Horizons Garden resort in Grenada, self catering, all with verandahs to sit on, 5 mins walk to the beach. Local supermarket (thinking nappies) 5 mins walk away. Found it for around £3.200 for a week going Christmas Eve.

Hope you get something.

Thankyouandgoodnight Wed 09-Jul-08 19:42:57

Thank you for these everyone - please keep them coming. Good info about the changeable weather - I doubt I'll be able to persuade DH that's the case but hey ho.

childfriendly123 Thu 17-Jul-08 18:21:22

Message withdrawn

LAlady Thu 17-Jul-08 18:23:48

I've heard very mixed reviews on Almond Beach Village. We nearly booked it but after reading reviews on it on tripadvisor, decided to go back to one we knew and felt more comfortable with. Also people I know who have been there, wouldn't go back.

HTH

squeaver Thu 17-Jul-08 18:28:19

It's pricey but, if you can afford it, go for Carlisle Bay in Antigua. Hotel food can be hit and miss in the Caribbean, but is excellent here. Rooms top-notch, staff v friendly. Apparently it also has a brilliant kids club now.

carlisle bay

Childfriendly - aren't you supposed to pay to advertise??

goingbacktowork Thu 10-Mar-11 22:19:07

any more recent reviews anyone - anyone been to the turtle beach resort recently?

redrollers Tue 15-Mar-11 13:52:37

I wouldn't go back to Almond Beach Village, unless it's had the renovation that it was overdue.
But lots of people on the same holiday loved it.

beautifulgirls Sat 19-Mar-11 20:33:39

We did Almond Beach Village Oct 10 and were very unhappy with it. Aside from the need to renovate the service there was appalling and the all inclusive was very hit and miss with what was actually available. Queues for food were part of the daily routine - all in all a huge disappointment.

Koshie09 Wed 10-Aug-11 22:33:40

Hi there, i have just booked Turtle beach for hols in December. We will be going with a 2 years old and I would like to spend some quality time with my husband. I know that the kidds club is for 3 years old+ but can you bring the 2year old there to play if she is a confident child? Also, has anyone used their babysitting services? How much do they charge and do you need to book well in advance? Many thanks

Gorran Sun 28-Aug-11 22:10:18

We returned from Turtle Beach on Friday, we loved it. Koshie09 - you won't be able to leave your 2yo in the children's club, it is strictly over 3s only. You can however take her in there to play, get out of the sun etc. but you have to stay with her. I think babysitting was $15 an hour, but could be wrong. We didn't use it but I do remember seeing the details written up in the children's club. The ladies who babysit are all from the club and are very nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now