Talk

Advanced search

same same but different - singapore hotel buffs!

(9 Posts)
toodlepips Sun 06-Jul-08 16:31:56

saw your thread annobalthebignosereindeer, but didn't want to hijack
as have a question on specific hotels in singapore

myself/dh/mil & ds 8months will be doing the singapore stop-over with sia in september

we've decided we can stretch to the category c hotels, and were wondering how they all compare.

really don't want a dud, as it possibly will be mil's first and last trip abroad.

so, comparatively, what do you well traveled lot make of:

amara
carlton
grand copthorne
grand plaza park- city hall
park royal on beach road
rendezvous hotel
traders hotel
york hotel

thanks

Twinkie1 Sun 06-Jul-08 16:33:00

Not heard of any of the above - used to book my old boss into the Fullerton if that helps?

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 06-Jul-08 17:26:47

Friends of mine stayed at the Grand Copthorne and enjoyed their stay.

Would suggest you also look at www.tripadvisor.com for up to date reviews and photos of these hotels.

FleurDelacour Mon 07-Jul-08 16:48:37

Had meal at Traders last week- not very impressed with the pool area- and the ladies loos were grubby. Is the Holiday Inn Park View available? It is not as expensive as The Fullerton, Ritz Carlton, Shangri La and Hilton types but is very nice indeed.

toodlepips Tue 08-Jul-08 08:59:02

Thanks Twink, Atilla and Fleur smile

I've completed the trip advisor search now and it's left me a little disappointed with all the hotels! Service just ain't what it used to be.

I was keen on Traders when i saw it's purty pictures, but again, it was let down by the reviews. And shock on the loos Fleur. Thanks for letting me know.

Fraid the Fullerton is beyond our reach and Holiday Inn isn't one of the SIA picks. I'll have to get a move on though, as the F1 will be filling up all these rooms!

Anyone else?

angel1976 Wed 09-Jul-08 17:08:05

Hi toodlepips,

I am from Singapore and don't read too much into hotel reviews as I think that Singaporeans can be rather curt in their manners (don't mean any harm!) and sometimes, this can lead to other people thinking they are rude. After living overseas for many years, I go back to Singapore and think how rude people are! Ha ha!

Which Grand Copthorne are you talking about? I got married in the waterfront one and that isn't too bad! Traders is very convenient (for Orchard Road though cabs are cheap!) and I always thought it was okay. City Hall and Beach Hall are both fairly central so good in that aspect. Be glad to help if you have any more questions. Most of the hotels in Singapore are probably fairly dated unless you went for one of the smaller boutique ones but those wouldn't be on the SIA picks. GL!

Ax

toodlepips Wed 09-Jul-08 19:47:24

Thanks Angel smile
Well... i tried to book using the SIA stopover spesh, and everything was booked up anyway!!!

Looks like holidays combined with F1 fever is making S'pore a popular place in September!

In the end, we went with the budget category and we'll splash out on other things every instead.

So we've booked the Link Hotel last night, which looks like it's in a more local area and only been around for 6 months, so they're keen to get a good rep. Close to the esplanade and tiong bahru... can't wait to have nasi lemak for breakfast again!

angel1976 Wed 09-Jul-08 21:00:58

That looks cool! Their website looks good. If I am not wrong, my dad pointed it out to me on my last visit (a few weeks ago!) about how they preserved the building (think it's the 30s-style or something) and made it into a hotel. Tiong Bahru has a really good market if I remember correctly. We are going in September too (I think!) but staying with family so don't have to worry about accommodation. We've got tickets to the F1 already! ;) Oh well, whatever money you have saved, you can spend on shopping there! I bought so much in my last 3 weeks there.

toodlepips Thu 10-Jul-08 08:24:20

Thanks for the reassurance angel.

So envy about you going to the F1! It's going to be fantastic! Dh is a very big fan. Will be back in UK by then so we'll be happy to make do saying... "we crossed the road there!"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now