Talk

Advanced search

Hot (weather) beach holiday in October Half Term?

(29 Posts)
arfur Mon 30-Jun-08 13:07:19

Am struggling to find somewhere for a family beach holiday in October half term. Needs to be hot (proper sunbathing hot) and not rainy or hurricane zone! Max 10 (ish) hour flights, and decent 4/5 star hotels. Please help!

CountessDracula Mon 30-Jun-08 13:07:59

South Africa?

herbietea Mon 30-Jun-08 13:09:37

Message withdrawn

arfur Mon 30-Jun-08 13:12:27

Went to Cape Verde at Easter! It was lovely - if a bit barren! Hadnt thought of South Africa have been to Kenya before kids and loved it but would be still need lots of jabs? Kids are 8 & 6.

PinkChick Mon 30-Jun-08 13:17:36

Cyprus, we went in aug last year (nissi bay) and are going back end of sept this year..its still mid 30'ssmile

orangina Mon 30-Jun-08 13:18:29

Southern Egypt? Marsa Alam?

Oman?

orangina Mon 30-Jun-08 13:19:22

Wouldn't go to S Africa at the moment, worst unrest there for a long time....

finallypregnant Tue 01-Jul-08 09:57:31

Dubai

bluesky Tue 01-Jul-08 21:25:13

Hyatt Regency Hotel in Sharm

Dubai - the Jumeirah Beach Hotel

gillybean2 Tue 01-Jul-08 21:30:19

We went to California last October half term. Min daytime temp was 26 and not humid at all.

We were in the outdoor pools every day, also at the beach and doing the theme parks in shorts and t-shirts and plenty of suncream.

Loads of hotels. It all depends what facilities you want, what you expect from a beach and which part of LA you want to be based in. Santa Monica is beautiful and has a lovely beach.

I can recommend the Disney Paradise Pier hotel (which we stayed in) if you want to do the Disney thing. We had a lovely room with concierge service. they also have a roof top pool which we were out using until late in teh evening.

The other Disney Hotels are much more expensive. If not into Disney try one of the hotels out nearer the beaches if what you're really are wanting is to just sunbath at the beach all day.

Gilly

childfriendly123 Wed 02-Jul-08 10:34:35

You could try the Red Sea in Egypt. There are a lot of family friendly hotels, and most of them offer either half board or full board options some with kid's club included. Try the following link: family holidays egypt Greece and Cyprus would also be a good option

arfur Fri 04-Jul-08 18:55:10

Thanks everyone. DH has just got back from week in Dubai envy on business so hes not keen to go back there. Had wondered about Red Sea / Sharm but have vague memories of 'trouble' out there are things safer now?

arfur Fri 04-Jul-08 18:58:14

gillybean2 - went to Florida in May after spending the last 8 years persuading DH so dont think I have a chance of pulling off california at the moment! Although non-disney in the US is something worth considering. A friend said Arizona is supposed to be beautiful?

gillybean2 Sat 05-Jul-08 10:06:12

Oh yes absolutely Arizona and that whole area are beautiful. Not sure if you just want rest and relaxation or stuff to do as well.

If just a rest in a sun spot with 'beach' have you thought about palm springs/desert?

If you want to explore a bit then certainly consider Arizona, Maybe do a round trip via Las Vegas (for shows), then through Arizona to the Grand Canyon (breathtaking and quite other worldly experience) and then on to San Diego maybe. I loved San Diego when I was there a few years ago.

Starmummy Tue 08-Jul-08 16:41:36

Finally Pregnant do you live in Dubai?

sorry for hijack

micku5 Tue 08-Jul-08 16:52:04

was going to suggest Cape Verde islands as well.

We are going there in Oct. Weather great, hotel all inclusive, beach and pool and holiday club for the kids, gym for dh, bar for FIL and spa for me. Flight only 5 3/4 hours.

hf128219 Tue 08-Jul-08 16:56:40

Four Seasons in Sharm - great for children too. Look at booking independantly - works out cheaper than with a tour operator. Fab 2 bedroom villas.

walshvet Tue 08-Jul-08 20:21:15

hi this is just the thread I was after ...we have 2 sons 6 and 7 and want a sporty holiday in oct half term....anyone done the mark warner thing this late in the year ie would it be warm enough in lakitira ??? thanks in advance ps done playa blanca in lanzarote every other year which is great but want a change!!

hf128219 Tue 08-Jul-08 20:34:20

I am not a Mark Warner fan - unless they don't do the shared table thing in the evenings. Sometimes you just want some peace and quiet!

janinlondon Wed 09-Jul-08 13:49:36

Arfur you are probably thinking of this: On 24 April 2006, there were explosions at three separate locations in the resort town of Dahab in the Sinai Peninsular, in which 23 people were killed and more than 60 injured, including three British nationals.

shazrey Wed 09-Jul-08 20:33:21

Try Hurghada or El Gouna in Egypt. The Marriott is lovely in Hurghada and all the hotels in El gouna are good. There has been no bombings in this area as Hurghada is a town and not a purpose built tourist resort like Sharm.
The weather is still in the 90's in October and the cost of living is so so cheap.

arfur Fri 11-Jul-08 09:45:55

Thanks everyone! Was talking to my hairdresser the other day and she went to Eygypt and said that she was told that they are building a wall around the pyramids to protect them so in a couple of years you wont be able to get very close to them. So was seriously thinking about taking the kids before that (although Im not sure if they will be interested or find it boooring!) Was going to run with SES but Hurghada sounds good too! Does anyone know how long the trip would be to Cairo - just a day or overnight?

hf128219 Fri 11-Jul-08 11:32:59

Ooh it's a long way to Cairo - at least 6 hours each way.

strawberry Fri 11-Jul-08 11:36:47

From Hurghada you can go on a trip to the pyramids leaving hotel at about 5am and getting back at about 11pm. This includes the 'interesting' experience of an internal flight with Egypt air.

strawberry Fri 11-Jul-08 11:38:31

We stayed at Abu Soma with Mark Warner. Should add that we didn't go on this trip but we have travelled in Egypt pre-kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now