Talk

Advanced search

how to keep kids occupied on a long haul flight

(10 Posts)
yaz2 Tue 27-May-08 07:59:18

we are taking 2 long haul flights on consecutive days from uk to dubai and the next day on to beijing and then back 2 weeks later with the stop over in dubai again. The flights are between 7 1/2 and 9 1/2 hours long and I think the lo's are going to be far from thrilled. AM I CRAZY????

I have a 22 month old so he will be on my lap and a 4 yrs old both ds I need to get organised and get some stuff to keep them occupied please

ScaryHairy Tue 27-May-08 21:56:46

Sticker books
Portable DVD player (with Pingu in our case)
Lots and lots of little snacks so you can feed them into submission.

I would also buy an extra seat. Having just done an 11 hour flight with a 23 month old, I could not have tolerated having her sitting on me for the whole time.

jennifersofia Tue 27-May-08 22:32:01

when we went on 20 hr flight at christmas we actually bought an extra (simple) ipod and downloaded audio stories, which helped (but I did know already that my dd's like listening to stories - the mr. men stories went down well (and I didn't have to listen to them!). Also took drawing equip. Don't forget your extra wet wipes...

yaz2 Fri 30-May-08 03:44:02

thanks for you replies the drawing and colouring stuff is a yes my 4 yr old is not really in to audio stories so I may have to look in to a portable dvd player. oh God lots and lots of wet wipes and nappies for my toddler too. Any one have any ideas about how to keep a 22 month old occupied as he is really too young to draw/ colour yet.
I wish we could get an extra seat but ut works out too expensive!!!

SIOBHANB2008 Fri 30-May-08 13:20:22

bring a couple of his favourite toys.. they should keep him occupied for a while!

lixanismapolium Wed 11-Jun-08 20:56:00

Went to Australia with 3 yr old a coupleof months ago. Bought about 10 really cheap toys and wrapped them up like birthday presents. Whenever it looked like there was a problem coming along, we gave her another present to open. Worked really well.

henrys7thwife Mon 16-Jun-08 14:56:34

My nanny packed our nappy bag for our 22-month-old. The portable DVD worked well for him, also she put in a few tubs of playdough, they cost £1 from Woolworth's and work 2 ways: 1 with the playdough (obviously) and the other is he can stack them like blocks. A couple of toy cars (small), and books worked well for him.

handlemecarefully Tue 26-Aug-08 00:23:27

I saw my doctor and asked for sedating antihistamine for mine. He happily prescribed and I dosed up my 4 year old and had a much happier trip...

handlemecarefully Tue 26-Aug-08 00:26:07

We have previously done portable dvds, activity books etc but frankly it is soooo exhausting since young children tend to need help with their activity books etc anyway, and after about 4 hours parental enthusiasm to 'assist' with spot the difference / dot to dot etc tends to fade (well it does for me any way)

FleurDelacour Thu 28-Aug-08 15:02:22

Agree with all the other posters- lots of great ideas there. Smiling and helpful stewards on our Quantas flight this week helped me enormously. A little walk to the galley at the back for a chat with them and to request a drink helped my LO. They had a stash of hot choc with marshmallows in which went down well. I saw one stewardess cuddling a toddler and carrying her around a few times to give mum a break during the flight too. Depends on your flight staff but you might be lucky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now