Talk

Advanced search

Hotels in Singapore for a young family?

(26 Posts)
annobalthebignosereindeer Sat 29-Dec-07 19:07:04

We're traveling to Oz in March and have a 3 day stop-over in Singapore (for a friend's wedding).

Can anyone recommend a good hotel for a young family? There are 5 of us in all with the boys ages 4, 3 and 6 months. I was thinking of Sentosa Island but would be just as happy to stay in the city.

sunnydelight Thu 10-Jan-08 07:27:57

Have never stayed on Sentosa, but The Marina Mandarin is fantastic. They love children (my 4 year old DD has stayed there three times now and cries every time we leave), the roof top pool is a godsend with kids and it's very convenient for sightseeing. They do family rooms which are two, large, interconnecting rooms - 1 queen, 1 twin, and they will provide a cot in the second room free of charge. If you are flying with Singapore Airlines I think it's in their stopover brochure which gives good rates and some extras (like free sightseeing bus), otherwise I always book direct for the best deals. Last time they came back to me with a higher rate than before and when I asked "can you do better" I got free buffet breakfast for us all (absolutely yummy and not to be underestimated with boys aged 14 and 9 as well as DD. We never had to eat lunch!).

shoshe Thu 10-Jan-08 07:31:54

Try looking here we are staying at the Villa Marina this time, it is outside the city, but taxi are very cheap.

suzywong Fri 21-Mar-08 11:49:28

bumpity bump

any other recommendations for hotels with family or interconnecting rooms?

dh's travel agent has booked us one but dh is concerned as he "may have read a review that it's a place where rich Chinese men take whores". Or may be he dreamed it. Who knows? hmm

suzywong Fri 21-Mar-08 12:08:44

bump

jura Fri 21-Mar-08 12:15:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

suzywong Fri 21-Mar-08 12:22:24

Oh right, thanks
I'll send the Fragrant Boys up there for free peanuts

CathyJo Fri 21-Mar-08 22:29:38

Sentosa is nice but a way out of the centre. There is a lot to do there though as well as beach - aquarium, butterfly farm etc. In town the Ritz Carlton is great and family friendly, has a great pool area, good buffet restaurant and close enough to walk to shopping centres, tourist buses etc.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 22-Mar-08 07:56:56

Sentosa is quite a way out from the centre of town (also the butterfly farm on Sentosa is pants!).

Better off staying somewhere central and I would certainly recommend the Shangri La on Orange Grove Road. They were very welcoming to families, the food at the Line restaurant is fab and has masses of choice and the pool is superb (and warm!).

hvmpangolin Wed 07-May-08 12:29:40

Mandarin Oriental were very good to us recently. Nice cot and baby goodies for our one year old and really good service at breakfast and in the on-site restaurants. Also arranged transfer from Changi with car seat.

Stretfordmum Thu 22-May-08 19:57:59

To break up a long-haul journey to and from Australia we stayed in Singapore. We had our 9-10 month old son with us.

We've stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel in the Bugis area of the city. The hotel is just up the road from Raffles Hotel and the Raffles shopping centre. It's only a 15-20 minutes walk to the waterfront. Singapore is a lovely clean city and very easy to walk around/use a buggy.

The hotel is about 15 minutes from the airport in a taxi - we've never been stuck in traffic (even in the rush hour it only takes about 20-25 minutes as the dual carriageway into the city is fast flowing and not too full of vehicles!!)

The hotel has interconnecting rooms which are great for families. Although we just booked a Club Room which has a King Size bed in it and asked for a cot as there was plenty of room for it.

There is a pool on the rooftop which is fairly small but great for children.

The hotel restaurant is great for children as the staff can not do enough for you (you might have to ask for a bowl or spoons or even to wash up your cutlery for you - but they are only too happy to help).

The hotel also have a sterliser for bottles which was easy to use. And can provide washing up liquid to wash bottles etc.

We went to the posh Fullerton hotel for a drink and get out of the heat. It was a great place for us all to people watch and had good baby changing facilities in the disabled toilet near the entrance.

eidsvold Sun 08-Jun-08 11:21:09

Swissotel Merchant Court - shuttle bus to raffles and huge shopping centre as well as chijmes for dinner.

2 minute walk to the metro.

Bum boats right there - huge renovation of clarke quay area across the river - lots of places to eat etc. We stayed 5 days and were able to get around to anywhere we wanted to go.

Pool - fab
day spa
room was good size.

zuzkah Sat 05-Jul-08 11:36:53

hvmpangolin - Who did you book with? We are going to Singapore with a 1year old and are looking for a great hotel. We like the Mandarin Oriental very much but cant find an agent to book the hotel with. Please help!

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 05-Jul-08 17:19:54

You can book online direct with the hotel.

slim22 Sun 06-Jul-08 14:30:33

you can also try asiarooms.com
Good rates in local currency

superloopy Sun 06-Jul-08 14:56:13

We stayed at the shangri la on Sentosa last year and it was fab!!
Lovely big rooms, huge pool with waterslide area for kids and non scary kid food at the restaurants.
There was a free shuttle bus from the island to the nearest metro station, which took no time to get into the 'city'/shopping.
I would highly recommend it! You get a beach holiday and a city holiday all in one! smile

zuzkah Sun 06-Jul-08 21:11:40

superloopy- thanks for that. We were thinking shangri-la at first then read some not very good reviews so decided for the city. However, we are considering the Sentosa one again and your comment just make me feel much better about this choice. Thanks!

slim22 Sun 06-Jul-08 21:14:50

I was talking about the Shangri-La in town though. The one on Orange grove road.

On sentosa, I think Shangri-LA a bit run down and the sentosa resort and spa far superior. The latter also has the spa botanica which is out of the world.

zuzkah Sun 06-Jul-08 21:49:49

slim22 - I agree, that's what I have heard about Shanrgi la on Sentosa. A bit tired. Sentosa resort looks excellent but more expensive and as we are only staying for 3-4 nights Shangri la will do.

slim22 Sun 06-Jul-08 22:12:12

enjoy smile

superloopy Mon 07-Jul-08 02:30:21

zuzkah - I honestly didn't notice the place to be run down or tired at all. To be honest I was probably the only run down and tired thing there!!!blush

I was jetlagged and 3 months preg! The air con was lovely, the beds were super huge and comfy and the pool was clean.

Our DD was almost 3yo and she had a great time in the pool.

I booked our stay on the Shangri La website, it was very easy.

Anyway I am sure you will have a wondeful time wherever you stay. smile

egypt Mon 07-Jul-08 06:36:12

hmmm spent time in the day at the shangri-la on sentosa recently and thought it looked q tired and pool not so clean actually.

zuzkah Mon 07-Jul-08 09:30:37

I guess if our expectations are not high we can be only nicely surprised! And I hope we will.

egypt Mon 07-Jul-08 11:41:00

oh sorry zuzkah! didn't see you were staying there! it's fine, really, nothing wrong it just in comparison to the orchard road one it's a bit worn out. x

you'll have a nice time x

zuzkah Mon 07-Jul-08 12:24:58

egypt - I ve seen some pics of the 5star on Orchad Rd. and it looks very flashy! With a lovely pool, too.
I hope we will have a great time at Sentosa. Thanks! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now