Talk

Advanced search

Holiday to Mexico

(13 Posts)
Amythedog101 Mon 02-Nov-20 18:30:54

Hello,
Me and my boyfriend have booked a holiday to Mexico for two weeks in early August (providing we can go due to covid😬).
We will be staying at the RUI Tequilla hotel in playacar. Any experience of this hotel??
Also I don’t want to miss anything amazing so any recommendations of things we can do/trips would be very useful.
Another question I was thinking about was budgeting for the holiday, it is all inclusive but we usually end up eating out a fair bit and would like to be about to buy drinks and do some nice things too! How much would you bring?

OP’s posts: |
Theyweretheworstoftimes Mon 02-Nov-20 18:40:01

It will be hurricane season.

The tequila hotel is ok, I stayed in another hotel but you could use the facilities so we would go and walk around.

there are three hotels that you can use the facilities for, the other two are on the beachfront.

All three hotels are in a gated complex.

You can leave the gated complex and walk into Town. There is a huge Walmart and various other shopping options in town.

The pools are not as big as the other hotels .

The transfer can feel long after a long flight.

Trips can be booked from the town rather than the hotel. Could possibly be cheaper than booking through hotel.

Amythedog101 Tue 03-Nov-20 07:43:17

Bump

Amythedog101 Tue 03-Nov-20 07:44:13

Thank you, I know about hurricanes season however from

Amythedog101 Tue 03-Nov-20 07:45:22

From my understanding it doesn't seem to have much of an effect

TheQueef Tue 03-Nov-20 07:45:37

Xcarat is worth a trip if you can swim.
Chichen itza is far the trip is worth it if you like pyramids.

SJaneS48 Tue 03-Nov-20 21:07:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SJaneS48 Tue 03-Nov-20 21:08:09

We went to Cozumel (an island off Playa del Carmen) the year after a hurricane had struck. It was still in recovery & had been hit really really hard. From what we saw, it really had had a big effect.

Cozumel was nice, it’s as 45 ferry ride from Playa del Carmen. It has a large Mayan site which was once a Mayan fertility centre (I did get pregnant within a year of dropping a coin in a sacred bowl there!) which doesn’t get huge visitor numbers and gave us the feeling that we’d come across it in the jungle! You can hire open top jeeps and drive around the island, it’s got some nice beaches and very good diving.

Tulum and Chichen Itza are as the PP says worth a trip.

SJaneS48 Tue 03-Nov-20 21:11:10

We went to Cozumel (an island off Playa del Carmen) the year after a hurricane had struck. It was still in recovery & had been hit really really hard. From what we saw, it really had had a big effect.

Cozumel was nice, it’s as 45 ferry ride from Playa del Carmen. It has a large Mayan site which was once a Mayan fertility centre (I did get pregnant within a year of dropping a coin in a sacred bowl there!) which doesn’t get huge visitor numbers and gave us the feeling that we’d come across it in the jungle! You can hire open top jeeps and drive around the island, it’s got some nice beaches and very good diving.

SJaneS48 Tue 03-Nov-20 21:12:54

catnoir1 Tue 03-Nov-20 21:15:30

Chichen itza, Xel Ha, pirate boat were amazing

We also went to the water park, snorkelling and speed boat trip and coco bongos.

Mexico is beautiful.

im5050 Sun 15-Nov-20 17:00:40

From my memory Rui Tequila is not beach side it’s the golf course side
So to get to the beach you have to go to the Rui Yucatan and walk through the grounds to get to the beach
I personally didn’t like PlayaCar and prefer Cancun but you have 5th Ave where there are loads of bars and restaurants and shops a five min walk away

Gloschick Sun 15-Nov-20 17:28:57

We went last year, same as you in early August. Weather was hot but absolutely fine. I would recommend eco Mayan adventures. They take you to see monkeys, learn how to make tortillas in a Mayan village etc
www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g13945632-d15042417-Reviews-Eco_Mayan_Adventures-Punta_Laguna_Solidaridad_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in