Talk

Advanced search

Suggest me a destination for summer 2021

(17 Posts)
CallSignCharlie Sun 06-Sep-20 08:07:10

Now that things slowly seem to be getting back to normal I’ve started thinking about next years holiday but I’m after suggestions
It’s for me (single parent) and DS 14 - budget is around 5k
We’ve had fabulous holidays in Thailand Australia Florida Croatia and I’m really keen to make the most of the next few years before he’s to old to want to come with me anymore !!
We had a road trip in California booked for this summer so re-booking that is a possibility. Also considering Borneo , maybe Canada or South America.
Hit me with your best ideas an active teenager and. Slightly less active middle aged mum

OP’s posts: |
Fedupofballs Sun 06-Sep-20 08:27:08

We’ve just booked Bali and Lombok and really hoping the travel situation will change so we can go. We haven’t been before but looks like a great mix of activity, relaxing and great value accommodation. We’re planning to go for 4 weeks and the advantage compared to much of Asia is that peak/dry season is in July and August.

Standrewsschool Sun 06-Sep-20 08:39:06

African safari?
Japan

Maybe watch the two series of Race Across the World for ideas of where to go.

Standrewsschool Sun 06-Sep-20 08:40:28

The second race Across the World was set in South America.

These waterfalls look amazing.

CallSignCharlie Sun 06-Sep-20 09:15:33

Thank you for the suggestions .Some great idea It was watching series 2 of race across the word that made me even contemplate S America- it looked amazing ( I loved the rainbow mountains)
When Covid is over I’m also thinking of recreating the first leg of season 1 - London to Athens !

CallSignCharlie Sun 06-Sep-20 09:20:45

Fedup - I hope you get to enjoy Bali and Lombok . I backpacked round that way many years ago . See if you can get to the Gilli Islands from Lombok . They were amazing with great snorkelling / scuba diving

minnieok Sun 06-Sep-20 09:33:16

If you can afford it and have enough time fly to Seattle and take the ferry to Alaska then take a camper van around the interior. It's amazing, lots of outdoor activities available, cultural activities, museums and the most amazing wildlife.

minnieok Sun 06-Sep-20 09:34:52

Otherwise I recommend Sri Lanka, one of my favourite places and won't break the bank either. We book b&b so we can sample local restaurants where ordinary people eat - we did stand out though, only tourists in many places

Fedupofballs Sun 06-Sep-20 09:43:07

@CallSignCharlie we’re planning 3 nights in gili air between Amed and Rinjani, booked a fantastic looking villa with pool for around £400 (cancellable of course!)
Have a look at the BA sale for next summer, there are some amazing flight prices. A friend just got premium economy flights to Japan in July for £650!

SJaneS48 Sun 06-Sep-20 19:19:19

Sri Lanka is great - it is monsoon season though for the Western part of the island so you’d had to stick to the East/North if you didn’t want to get hit by rains. We went last April and most of the time we were in the West/South so cant recommend places but as the PP has said, it’s cheap and it’s also a beautiful island, lots of wildlife, lots of historic sites and genuinely nice people!

We went to Costa Rica in August 4 years ago - again its rainy season but in reality we had a thunderstorm a day typically for an hour in the afternoon or evening. Not a deal breaker for us! The scenery is spectacular, their wildlife is amazing and there is loads to do on the activity front for your DS from zip lining through jungles, canopy walks, canoeing, surfing etc. The beaches are also gorgeous. It’s less expensive in our summer, we had a driver but plenty of tourists rent cars and travel around.

I’ve only been to Eastern Canada but I imagine travelling around Western Canada and doing the Rockies would be amazing. We’d talked of doing California summer 2021 - just not sure based on current stats that by next summer it would be 100% a great bet (but who knows really!).

Ellmau Mon 07-Sep-20 18:28:26

Switzerland - gorgeous and lots of options for the actively inclined.

YouJustDoYou Mon 07-Sep-20 18:29:46

I would say Japan but it can get insanely hot and humid in the summer (think 40'c). Switzerland is beautiful.

DidoAtTheLido Thu 10-Sep-20 12:18:46

Costa Rica
A sailing flotilla holiday in the Greek islands
Canoeing on the great lakes in Canada
Walk the Lycian Way in Turkey
Re-book your road trip - whale watching in Monterey, Yosemite etc.

doistayordoigo Thu 10-Sep-20 18:37:13

We honeymooned in Sri Lanka first two weeks of August (20 odd years ago) and apart from a couple of quick showers the weather was fine. We stayed West coast so no need to avoid. Thoroughly enjoyed it, had a driver for 4 days to do a tour of the sites. Would definitely recommend.

Costa Rica looks amazing...

KoalasandRabbit Sun 13-Sep-20 04:30:35

I'ld be very cautious about booking anything atm but if things do get more back to normal can also recommend Costa Rica, kids loved it, excellent for rainforest, ziplines including very high / very fast ones and wildlife and lots of watersports available at our hotel at least.

We had a trip planned to Borneo for this summer and that sounded good but obviously never got to go - that included wildlife by Kinabantagan, orugutang, sun bear sanctuaries, and in Perhentians scuba diving / snorkelling with baby sharks / turtles etc and another Malaysian hotel with lots of watersports.

fuzzyduck1 Wed 21-Oct-20 08:15:35

A haven holiday park would be a save bet.

SJaneS48 Wed 21-Oct-20 10:22:35

Not sure anywhere is a safe bet Fuzzy!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in