Talk

Advanced search

East Africa?

(14 Posts)
mamapearl Wed 22-Jul-20 22:05:42

Looking to do somewhere in East Africa in the next 2-3 years. I'll be accompanied by my 6/7 year old and DP.

I was thinking a luxury safari in Kenya, Uganda or Tanzania perhaps.

Any recommendations? What else is there to do with a young child?

OP’s posts: |
ListeningQuietly Wed 22-Jul-20 22:13:35

www.ed.co.tz/
We used a UK agent but next time would book direct
It was one of the most memorable trips of our lives

mamapearl Wed 22-Jul-20 22:21:36

Thank you @ListeningQuietly

If you don't mind, could you tell me about your trip to Tanzania? Where you went, what you did etc?

OP’s posts: |
ListeningQuietly Thu 23-Jul-20 09:37:27

We went to Manze
it was AMAZING.
I'd go back tomorrow if I could

We also went to Zanzibar - thanks but no thanks

SJaneS48 Thu 23-Jul-20 11:07:38

My info is really dated (as I’m 50) and lived in Kenya until I was 10 - Kenya though is a fantastic place to visit as a child. Depending on what time of year you go, Amboselli, Tsavo, the Serengeti & the Maasai Mara are great for wildlife (I’m sure a local expert could advise you better on the best park for the time of year). I think my experience is too out of date to give detailed advice but from experience what I enjoyed was:

- a mixed itinerary. After initial enthusiasm, there are only so many Eland, Thompson’s gazelles and secretary birds you can see on safari without being really bored as a child. There really aren’t lions around every corner and day after day in a car/jeep and seeing the same old wildlife as a kid can be really dull

- the coast (Mombassa or Malindi) and snorkelling

- boat trips on Lake Naivasha to see the hippo. Naivasha is a good area for a family holiday offering wonderful views, lots of wildlife on and offshore and ancient historic sites - www.shadowsofafrica.com/blog/things-to-do-at-lake-naivasha/

- fly fishing for trout in streams on Mount Kenya - not sure this is something you could book through a tour company! Mount Kenya though is beautiful - it’s scenery is quite different as it’s tropical rainforest.

- walking on the pink salt lake at Magaadi

- Nairobi - has some good museums & a national park. If it’s still there, the train museum has the carriage where a lion lept on during colonial times and ate a couple of Brits

- the Blue Post waterfalls at Thika

Hope this is (vaguely!) helpful but to sum up, I think Kenya has a lot of different things to offer other than game for kids & nothing but safari’s can be quite dull from a child’s point of view.

drspouse Thu 06-Aug-20 22:10:00

I have also been but again quite a long time ago though I have worked in the region as an adult.
There are lots of options for beach/pool breaks in both Tanzania and Kenya. Children of families I knew had a lovely life, but quite low key - swimming, playing, reading, monkeys in the garden - that sort of thing.

thisstooshallpass Tue 11-Aug-20 21:31:26

Tanzania safari and Zanzibar. Stone Town then glorious beaches on the East Coast. It's all quite primitive though.

800msprint Sun 16-Aug-20 08:18:20

Ooh any of those will be fab. Though because I'm going through the same thinking I'm going to suggest South Africa (I'm sure there's a reason why you haven't suggested here but..)
No jet lag, no malaria tablets needed in some parks and easy self driving plus Cape Town and wine regions has loads for kids.
I am definitely more of a fan of east Africa but with kids I reckon South Africa has more going for it

annieannietomjoe Sun 16-Aug-20 08:30:03

We did a trip in Tanzania - visited Serengeti (stayed in posh camp in site which was amazing), Ngorogoro, lake Manyara and another park which I can't remember the name...staying in the rented camps/half wooden cabin/half tent was the most memorable as the noises and the animals you see while having a beer is amazing! It was an amazing 7 days....maybe 7 days could be quite long for kids that age. We also did Zanzibar after as was on honeymoon...we did some water sports and the beaches were amazing! Food was great in Zanzibar especially Stonetown compare to safari but you don't go for the food ok safari!

Avela Wed 25-Nov-20 15:36:18

i am late in the conversation, but i think i can this Great website Restova.
Restova is a Market place for Tours, so you have a chance to compare different tour packages mainly for Tanzania Mainland and Zanzibar Island. check here Restova

Blossomhill4 Wed 25-Nov-20 15:56:16

ListeningQuietly

We went to Manze
it was AMAZING.
I'd go back tomorrow if I could

We also went to Zanzibar - thanks but no thanks

Is Zanzibar not a good place to travel?

JacobReesMogadishu Wed 25-Nov-20 16:00:37

I would avoid Uganda unless you have a burning desire to see gorillas. I've worked in Uganda and spent quite a bit of time there and I'd say the safari experience isn't the best. There's only one national park which has lions, etc. I never saw elephants, not sure if they have them. Never saw giraffes. Saw plenty of zebra and deer but that's it.

One of my local friends said in the civil war Amin's soldiers used to shoot the animals and that they've never really recovered. Not sure how true it is and never been to Kenya or Tanzania so not certain how it compares but I have friends from both Kenya and Tanzania who say it's better than Uganda.

shartsi Wed 25-Nov-20 16:18:50

www.huguhuguadventures.com/
For Uganda. You would have to speak to them to work out what you want. It is managed by a French lady.

ArcherDog Wed 25-Nov-20 16:26:14

We did a luxury travelling safari in Tanzania, went to Serengeti, Lake Manyara, Ngorogoro crater etc. Had sunrise breakfast over the Great Rift Valley, hot air balloon ride.

Then spent 2 weeks at the lovely Turtle Bay Beach Hotel, Kenya.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in