Talk

Advanced search

All inclusive or self catering with 2yo

(9 Posts)
Anewmum2018 Wed 15-Jul-20 15:52:16

Looking to go long haul (beach resort maybe Caribbean) next year for a big birthday. DS will be 2 and a bit by then.
My question is, should we go all inclusive or self catering with him?

So far my experience has been travelling with a baby, and have always gone self catering so we can sit out in the evening, make our own dinner etc. But i was thinking, since he'll be older, could All inclusive make life easier in terms of meals and activities? Or is it still horrible to be stuck in a hotel room in the evening while he sleeps?!

Any advice appreciated - they change so quickly when it comes to holiday requirements....

OP’s posts: |
Ricekrispie22 Wed 15-Jul-20 15:58:21

Some all inclusive have relaxed dining, child-friendly buffets/menus, two-bedroom apartments, babysitting etc... Others don’t! It all depends on the hotel, and your budget I suppose.

MummaGiles Wed 15-Jul-20 16:00:51

I would find a family friendly all inclusive, perhaps one with suite/aparthotel type rooms where you will have more space to relax in the evening or when DC is napping. All inclusive is brilliant with little ones in my experience. If going long haul have a look at/contact Sovereign travel for family friendly places.

Finfintytint Wed 15-Jul-20 16:05:04

Self catering in the Caribbean often equates to Room only. I’d check what catering facilities are actually available as it often means you have to dine out.

TokyoSushi Wed 15-Jul-20 16:06:48

All-inclusive! At least then it's less annoying than paying for every meal out only for him to refuse to eat it/throw it all over the floor - or is that just what mine used to do?!

AvoidingRealHumans Wed 15-Jul-20 16:11:56

Definitely all inclusive.

Anewmum2018 Wed 15-Jul-20 16:20:47

Ah great thank you for your advice! Will look for hotels maybe with a bit more space outside, so at least we can drink on the balcony in the eve.
Has anyone been anywhere they’d recommend?

OP’s posts: |
okiedokieme Wed 15-Jul-20 16:22:14

Ai is fuss free. Bring a reclining buggy so dc can sleep whilst you are in the restaurant/bar (quiet bar that is) walk around grounds etc. I had mine in a double buggy on holiday until they were 2&4. That said mine adjusted to time differences quickly and generally ate with us before nodding off, they would ask to get out of the high chair and climb into the buggy with blanket and teddy

SJaneS48 Thu 16-Jul-20 07:34:32

As a quick disclaimer, I have done the odd AI (as DH & DDs love them!) but I don’t like them and find the whole experience boring and soulless so this is completely biased! Self catering all the way for me. If your DS is a good eater, AI buffets would be fine but if he’s picky then with self catering you can make him something he will eat that’s vaguely healthy other than giving him the same buffet food every night (I have a bad memory of my DD2 eating just chips and bread & the occasional bit of fruit for a whole week at an AI while small!). Your more likely to get a kids club with an AI place I imagine which would give you a break for an hour or so (but both my DDs hated them unfortunately). At 2, he’s a bit young to get much out of mini disco’s and evening entertainment.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in