Talk

Advanced search

Why oh why did I think it was a good idea.....

(12 Posts)
loolop Thu 27-Sep-07 21:58:32

to book myself and DD (7 months) a trip to Canada when DH has no holiday allowance left this year! My sister lives just outside Toronto and desperately wants to meet DD and I miss her terribly and want to see my gorgeous nephews so decided me and DD would go and see them for a week, flying out next Friday. Didn't really think through the logistics of taking my very active 7mo on an 8hr flight alone! Can anyone help me and answer some (probably very stupid) questions!
1. Can you keep the buggy with you until you board?
2. Will a 20lb baby fit quite comfortably in a sky cot?
3. Will the airline warm bottles for you? Flying with BA
4. Anyone flown BA premium economy - is it good??!
5. How do you get a baby over jet lag?! They are 6hrs behind us

And any other tips greatly greatly welcomed!!!

TIA!

spinspinsugar Thu 27-Sep-07 22:00:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

spinspinsugar Thu 27-Sep-07 22:07:53

funnypeculiar Thu 27-Sep-07 22:09:15

um, I think the answer to 2 might be a no - defn ring airline & check. We flew to US recently & were told that their skycots were only suitable up to 6mths/when kids start sitting.

But DO book bulkhead seat if you can - gives you useful extra space.
And beg for an extra seat at check-in - worked for us!smile

And it won't be as bad as you think - honest!

loolop Thu 27-Sep-07 22:13:04

Thanks spinspinsugar (great name!) very helpful! Will def get some disposable changemats, was thinking of taking ready made cartons of milk to avoid the whole test the milk before you go through security thing!

Can I just ask one other thing - is an average sized changing bag small enough to class as hand luggage?

I just can't wait to get there now! grin

Cocobear Thu 27-Sep-07 22:31:57

Yes an average sized changing bag will be fine as hand luggage.

BA Premium economy not fabulous but it will be worth it to have slightly more space and very slightly more attentive service - very useful when you need the loo as you can have a flight attendant look after LO for a few minutes.

Be assertive about having your meal served when it suits you, which might not be during the scheduled meal service. They really can bring it an hour later if the baby is fussing during the meal service.

Be sure to tuck a change of shirt into the bag for you, too. Something about flying with a baby almost guarantees some kind of spillage...

Olihan Thu 27-Sep-07 22:48:35

I think the skycot restrictions vary from airline to airline. We flew to Singapore with Singapore Air when dd was 19mo and she slept in a skycot, their cutoff was 12kg, I think.

Agree you won't need much in the way of toys but do pack plenty of nappies, wipes, a couple of changes of clothes for her as well as one for you. Sitting for hours in stinky, sicky clothes because your baby puked on take off is not fun (I can tell you that with 100% certainty because I've done it for 12 hours!).

I'd also think twice about feeding her on take off/ landing unless she's due a feed! I didn't do it with dd at 7mo on the way home, after the sick incident outbound and she was fine. A dummy will do just as good a job, with less messy consequences.

Good luck, you'll be fine.

spinspinsugar Thu 27-Sep-07 23:42:43

spinspinsugar Thu 27-Sep-07 23:43:49

arfishy Fri 28-Sep-07 00:10:36

I would phone BA customer service to be completely sure.

At the moment you can take one hand luggage bag for you - no bigger than 56 cm x 45 cm x 25 cm (approximately 22 inches x 17.5 inches x 9.85 inches). And one for your baby of the same size.

BA will provide a sky cot but check to see what the weight limit is.

You can do family check in from home and print off your own boarding passes to save having to queue at the airport.

IME you can normally take the buggy all the way through, but sometimes they make you check it in, so phone to be sure.

Take a few more nappies and an extra change for DD, deffo wipes and an anti-bac gel and change mats. I used to take my sling on board when DD was that age - much easier to handle the toilets.

Have fun - it'll all be fine smile

mamama Fri 28-Sep-07 02:13:35

1. Yes, keep the buggy until you get to the dorr of the plane. They will stow it on board (if it is small and there is space) or under the plane & have it waiting for you at the dorr of the plane when you arrive (you might have to wait a bit though)
2. 20lb baby might be cosy in a sky cot but definitely give it a whirl. BA have little seats too if the skycot doesn't work.
3. They should warm the bottles for you.
4. BA premium economy was FAB ( I was ungraded but if I could afford it, I would always pay to fly with them if I were travelling alone with a small child. Extra legroom too )
5. The jetlag thing is the tricky one! TBH DS fares better travelling to the US than from, so I think you should be ok. They seem to adjust pretty quickly.

Other tips: and empty water bottle is the best toy. Expect a juggling act in the loos - the changing tables are pretty crappy! Take advantage of any offer of help

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 28-Sep-07 07:23:29

1. Yes. Label it though and tie something on it like a ribbon for easier identification.
2. I would have thought so but check beforehand
3. Yes but do check milk temp; some of the crew can overwarm baby bottles.
4. Premium Economy on BA is fine; you do get more leg room and it tends to be a bit quieter. PE also have separate toilets in that part of the aircraft. No separate check in for such pax though, would suggest you use online check in and print off your boarding passes beforehand.
5. Baby will be fine with regards to jetlag; adults feel jetlag more than babies do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now