Talk

Advanced search

What would you do?

(19 Posts)
Kelcat9494 Wed 01-Jul-20 11:02:58

Hello,

We had a holiday booked for Florida In April 2020 but couldn't go due to covid19 so I moved it to November - I got pregnant so these are my options:-

Option 1- go in November at 26 weeks pregnant and just get on with it.

Option 2 - go in July with a five month old baby and try and battle the heat

Option 3 - cancel the holiday and lose £1000-£3000

What would you do?

OP’s posts: |
sleepismysuperpower1 Wed 01-Jul-20 11:04:07

option 2, personally. We have been in July and the heat wasn't unbearable, the rain that comes each day helps too.

BIWI Wed 01-Jul-20 11:04:19

Option 4 - postpone it to a later date, when the baby is older and more able to bear the heat?

Kelcat9494 Wed 01-Jul-20 11:07:53

Option 4 isn't an option unfortunately they are not accepting bookings after September 2021 as they are reassessing whatever it is and I wouldn't be able to get the time off work later in the year

OP’s posts: |
LudaMusser Wed 01-Jul-20 11:08:30

A holiday with a baby isn't a holiday

Theyweretheworstoftimes Wed 01-Jul-20 11:12:36

Travelling with a 5 month old is fine if you have the right equipment and you relax about what is possible.

They can't move which is what makes it easy.

I have travelled extensively since my child was born. Some stages are more challenging than others but nothing is impossible

AdoreTheBeach Wed 01-Jul-20 11:13:20

Can I ask why the option is July 2021 and not another month in 2021? If you can postpone to 2021, can you do it to a month you’re more comfortable due to the heat?

If you’re going because of other children you have and your partner/DH or other person would be going on rides with the children, I have to say going with a baby you can carry in a sling makes life so much easier. I went around Venice with a 5 month old, same baby to USA at 12 weeks old and it was liberating to do so with the sling, packet of wipes and nappies in a small bag (breast fed baby). Was much easier than travelling with her when she was a year old.

Kelcat9494 Wed 01-Jul-20 11:19:55

I've decided on July 2021 because I'll still be on mat leave and baby will be at a decent age (I think) - I think I'd struggle with a 1-3 month old so five months seemed a bit better - I'm going with DH, 8 year old niece and grandma so will have help x

OP’s posts: |
Kelcat9494 Wed 01-Jul-20 11:22:55

Also sorry I have exams in April and May

OP’s posts: |
TARSCOUT Wed 01-Jul-20 11:25:38

Ootion 3 as I just couldn't be bothered with the flight, the heat however if you have way more patience than me Option 2. Worst case scenario each adult takes a day to stay in air conditioned space with baby or find shady area by pool.

IlanaWexler Wed 01-Jul-20 11:30:14

I've done similar to options 1 and 2 and both were fine. My son was a very easy baby though.

I'm 27 weeks pregnant now and could happily go on holiday (corona allowing), what's putting you off doing that?

Kelcat9494 Wed 01-Jul-20 11:33:14

I think what's putting me off is we've spent a lot of money on it (DisneyWorld, universal) and I won't get the full experience which isn't a massive issue but it just feels like a lot of money to do nothing

OP’s posts: |
IlanaWexler Wed 01-Jul-20 11:33:56

Are you in one of the higher risk groups for COVID in pregnancy? BAME, aged 35+ or have certain health conditions? If so then you should do option 2.

IlanaWexler Wed 01-Jul-20 11:36:59

Ah I see. But you also wouldn't get the full experience with a 5 month old - not much fun queuing for rides by yourself while DH looks after the baby. & vice versa.

Kelcat9494 Wed 01-Jul-20 11:37:58

IlanaWexler

Ah I see. But you also wouldn't get the full experience with a 5 month old - not much fun queuing for rides by yourself while DH looks after the baby. & vice versa.


Luckily grandma is coming too so was gonna make her look after baby while I ride big thunder mountain :P

OP’s posts: |
IlanaWexler Wed 01-Jul-20 11:39:25

Lucky! Go for option 2 then smile

IlanaWexler Wed 01-Jul-20 11:40:16

We'll hopefully have a corona vaccine by next July too

cjpark Wed 01-Jul-20 18:27:14

Would you need to spend any more money on park tickets etc? I think if you still have more to shell out, I'd write off the £1000 and go in a few years. Florida in July is hot, sticky, humid and busy. If you're doing the parks, there may well still be limitations on what's on offer too due to Covid.

Fedupofballs Wed 01-Jul-20 22:28:15

How much will you lose? £3,000 or £1,000 and more importantly how much have you still got to pay (balance/spending money etc.). I wouldn’t fancy Florida 26 weeks pregnant or with a 5 month old. If you decide to cancel think of it as money saved rather than deposit lost, and do something which will be much easier and enjoyable with a 5 month old next summer.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in