Talk

Advanced search

New York New York

(3 Posts)
assumpta Wed 12-Sep-07 12:58:28

Going to new york before thanksgiving this year. Very excited!! First time away on my own in years. I need help on some tips, shopping mainly. I know all the tourist sites to go to see and am fine with this. I am concerned regarding any electronic bits that I might buy for kids, e.g. nintendo ds lite, or ipods, will these work over here or do i need special adaptors? Would it be worth buying these? What are the best bargains/shops to go to? Any outlets? If so where? We will be in midtown new york.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 12-Sep-07 13:14:24

An IPOD should work in the UK without any special adaptors but buying electrical items overseas is not always straightforward. You also need to consider the excise duty that is payable. You only have a small allowance (think its £145.00 currently) whereafter you will pay VAT on the whole amount of the goods purchased. Another thing you need to consider is guarantees; these may only work for the USA if you buy such items there.

I do not think that Nintendo items sold in the US are compatible for UK usage but I will stand corrected if this is not the case.

What you may want to consider doing instead is using the price comparison sites for electronic items online.

J & R are a good electronics emporia. Woodberry Common is a good outlet mall in New Jersey.

assumpta Wed 12-Sep-07 13:27:30

Thank you for that. With regards to the customs, what if i was actually using it on way back, ipod, would i be able to bring it through withjout declaring it? Is there anyone out there that has brought back electronics that might know about adaptors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now