Talk

Advanced search

Tips on how to get a 1 year old to sleep on 24 hr flight if they won't sleep on your lap??

(12 Posts)
PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Thu 06-Sep-07 19:12:19

What do you do???

Blu Thu 06-Sep-07 19:14:25

Book one of the flight-seats or whatever they are called. You get choice of a little cot (too small for a 1 yr old), or something more like a reclining car seat which hooks onto the baulkhead in the first row of seats.

Olihan Thu 06-Sep-07 19:16:24

Get a skycot/bassinet booked. They're little cots that hang on the bulk head and can be used by babies up to 10kg.

We used them for dd on a trip to Singapore when she was 18mo and she slept a lot better.

They're free and the added bonus is you get seats with extra leg room because you're at the front of the cabin.

Who are you flying with?

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Thu 06-Sep-07 20:37:13

Crikey - she's def going to be bigger than 10kg by then - she's already in to the first forward facing car seat - quite a long girl - my friends. I promised I'd ask you all what to do!

Blu - for the reclining car seat - do they provide it and do you have to pay for an extra 'adult' seat?

tori32 Thu 06-Sep-07 20:50:46

I still say get a sky cot booked. My LO is 29lbs at 20mths and has always been on 98th centile so its unlikely your lo will be over 10kg (22.2lb) at just 1yr. Any way the cabin crew wont weight her/him its a rough size guide. She will be less squashed in that than on your knee. Also, if she is too big then you don't need to use it because they are provided for emergency use anyway. How old and heavy is she now?

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Thu 06-Sep-07 21:40:46

She's 9 months but not sure how heavy - it's my friends DD.

tori32 Thu 06-Sep-07 21:56:42

Its not likely she will be over 10kg at just turned 1yr. by 18mths maybe.

Olihan Thu 06-Sep-07 21:58:50

Putthat, I'd second telling your friend to book it anyway. They didn't even query dd at 18mo and I know my friend squished her 23mo into one smile.

TBH, they're just a handy thing to have during the flight as a general dumping place or somewhere to sit lo while she plays. Having a wriggly toddler permanently on your knee for 24hrs is not fun!

On the longhaul flights they are put up as soon as the seatbelt light is turned off after take off and stay up until you start the descent into your destination. The only time we weren't allowed to use it was during turbulence when they had to sit on our laps, strapped in. It's a bit of a PITA if they're asleep at that point but the cabin crew weren't that strict on it.

I can put a pic of ds2 in his on my profile if your friend wants to see it!

Vikkin Thu 06-Sep-07 22:09:10

We pre-booked seats in the row behind the middle door. There is usually an empty seat space in the first row on the window side which gives our window seat a lot of room in front. Then using everyone's fleeces/jackets (and lo's favourite blanky) make up a lovely little bed down there.
Had a fabulous l/h flight back from Canada using this method.

Olihan Thu 06-Sep-07 22:13:18

Vikkin, some airlines won't allocate those seats to families with lo's, unfortunately. We also tried bedding ds1 down on the floor but the cabin crew made us pick him up for 'health and safety' hmm. I think it probably depends on the airline.

I would book a bassinet, rather than risk having lo on my lap for the entire flight personally!

potoroo Thu 06-Sep-07 22:41:48

Do try for a sky cot/reclining seat that fits on the bulkhead.

You can of course book an adult seat, but you'll need to pay for it (usually at 90% of full fare).

As tempting as it is to make a bed on the floor, if the plane goes through sudden turbulence LO could be seriously injured (or could seriously injure whoever he or she lands on).

janinlondon Fri 07-Sep-07 11:20:25

I think any airline registered in the UK, Australia, or the Asian countries will prevent you from putting your children on the floor. And also will not give emergency row seats to children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now