Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for San Francisco restaurants & things to do

(12 Posts)
jenkel Thu 06-Sep-07 08:40:09

DH is working in San Francisco in a couple of weeks and I'm realy excited as I have managed to get tickets to go along with him for 4 days.

Its his brithday when we are away and I'd like to try to book a nice restaurant but have no idea of any, so anybody have any recommendations. Also, what are the must do's we are staying in Fishermans Wharf. I guess Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge etc.

Thanks

meowmix Thu 06-Sep-07 08:43:45

Shopping is fab there, esp the Banana Republic. The French Laundry I think is a good restaurant but you're spoilt for choice to be honest.

Um. There used to be a good bar at the top of the Francis Drake hotel that has good views. Fisherman's Wharf is nice, but touristy, take the trolley bus to the main shopping area and wander. Go to a diner (again one opposite Francis Drake is good)

god I'm jealous I LOVE SFO

aDad Thu 06-Sep-07 09:09:50

I'd recommend the incredibly famous veggie restaurant called Greens, in an old warehouse on the waterfront not too far from Fisherman's wharf.

The food really is top notch, and great location with large windows all down one side from where you can watch the seals mucking about in the water. You would need to book in advance I think.

How about renting bicycles and crossing the GG bridge for a trip to Muir woods or any of the quiet beaches on that side of the bay.

French laundry is in nappa valley isn't it, and not in SF.

meowmix Thu 06-Sep-07 09:11:45

maybe - its about 5 years since I was there. the place I went was in the commercial/business area anyway

aDad Thu 06-Sep-07 09:12:01

*Napa valley! (think I have nappies on the brain)

spudz Fri 07-Sep-07 09:50:21

We were there last October for a few days but had 4 kids in tow - am guessing you will be child free? We really enjoyed the city. Alcatraz was great - really good audio tour and great views looking back over the city - do book your trip as soon as you arrive as its really popular and is often sold out. Pier 39 is good for a touristy potter and plenty of eating places. Also went to the Japanese Tea gardens - there is a good art gallery next to it but was shut the day we went (Mon I think). We walked across Goldengate bridge which was a memorable experience - sadly no cafe to find on the other side and had to stagger back carring various small children!
When you're next in a bookshop check out the DK Eyewitness Travel pocket books - there is bound to be one on SF - they are really informative and have email details for booking restaurants etc. Have a great time and hope its not too foggy when you go!

Meridian Sat 08-Sep-07 11:35:33

I grew up in Santa ROsa, about 45 minutes north of San Fran, depending on the traffic grin I haven't been back for 5 years or so but one of my favourite things to do was to take the ferry from larkspur into the city the famous ferry building (think of the opening to Interview with the vampire or pretty much any other film or tv set in sf) ferry, its a great view and not that expensive.

If you are into alcatraz I'd say go but otherwise it really isn't that interesting its a prison on a rock in the bay thats about it.

my favourite place to eat in san fran is North Beach Pizza, its not fancy but it is about the best pizza in san fran. located on grant street in little italynorth beach pizza

My favourite place in all of northern cali is Sonoma and the sonoma valley.. some really lovely winerys there with great tours and food too.. sonoma

a couple of tour sites
tours
shuttle tours

if in doubt you could always go to the jelly belly factory tour in fairfield grin

kiskidee Sat 08-Sep-07 12:09:54

There is a tiny tiny Chinese restaurant directly opposite Francis Ford Coppola's expensive eatery. You literally either have to sit at the counter or at one of the 4 or 5 tiny, 2 seater tables along the wall from the counter.

The food is fantastic and it isn't half as expensive as wot FFC's joint across the street.

Deffo a San Francisco treat!

kiskidee Sat 08-Sep-07 12:14:13

And Coppola's place is worth it too. He has props from some of his movies as part of the decor.

Clementine1 Mon 24-Sep-07 20:55:42

I can recommend a restaurant in china town called Pearl River - it is amazing. Its like sitting in someones house and having dinner with the locals. Ask your concierge about it. Also Fournou's Ovens in the Stanford Court HOtel - on Nob Hill. You can get a trolley to it. Its a lovely spot away from all the touristy places. We were in SanFran for part of our honeymoon and I loved it.

peachygirl Mon 24-Sep-07 21:03:15

The golden gate park is great, there is a beautiful Japanese garden.
You might want to book Alcatraz before you go as it can be very busy (although the high summer season will be ending)When we went the hotel were very imprezsed we had already done this.
Ride the cable cars and go to the cable car museum which is free is great.

Califrau Mon 24-Sep-07 21:21:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now