Talk

Advanced search

Flying to NZ via Hong Kong - coronavirus - any recent experience

(9 Posts)
SecondaryBurnzzz Tue 25-Feb-20 20:52:33

Hi there, we are due to go to NZ (transiting in Hong Kong for a few hours) at Easter, and I am worried about maybe not being allowed into NZ or having to self-quarantine ourselves when we get there or back.
Have you had any recent experience?

I'll probably just ring them in the morning, but thought I would check here for real world experiences! Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
HappyHammy Tue 25-Feb-20 20:54:38

What airline are you using, many are cancelling flights .

SecondaryBurnzzz Tue 25-Feb-20 20:58:07

HappyHammy Air NZ but they use Cathay Pacific I think.

HappyHammy Tue 25-Feb-20 21:04:59

Are they reducing their flights, I would check, info is on the Air NZ website.

SecondaryBurnzzz Tue 25-Feb-20 21:15:56

They are reducing them, www.airnewzealand.co.nz/travel-alerts?eventid=fDGYibJzvnpG2LKxFHK7 but I assume they'll find us a seat! My concern is whether we'll have to self-isolate when we get there!
I'm wondering whether to try to change our flights now...

FenceFuckery Wed 26-Feb-20 09:41:58

Definitely give them a call. NZ has a ban on incoming passengers from China, including transit, if they aren’t NZ residents.

I’m not 100% sure if Hong Kong is included in that, so might be worth asking if you can re route. Are you booked as air NZ or Cathay? Air NZ would be better as Singapore is ok. Or via LA or Vancouver.

SecondaryBurnzzz Wed 26-Feb-20 09:52:24

Yes I saw that * FenceFuckery* residents can get in, but have to self isolate for 14 days. We're going to visit my in-laws so will be seeing lots of people, I wouldn't want to put anyone at risk. We booked with AirNZ but I think they use Cathay Pacific for Hong Kong routes. Will call them today.

ShanghaiDiva Sun 01-Mar-20 15:19:51

HK is not counted as China for entry.
I flew from Australia to London via HK two weeks ago and HK was pretty quiet. There were temp checks at the transit area (no idea what happens if a fever is detected) and constant disinfecting of everything and some of the cathay lounges were being closed later that week.

legoqueen Mon 02-Mar-20 13:33:31

Interested to know what you've been told as we're in the same situation - although I suspect it will evolve between now & then. We are flying with Cathay Pacific & had planned to spend 2 nights in HK en route, but a couple of weeks ago our outbound flight was cancelled so we're going a day later. Option was to change in Paris instead, but I didn't fancy an additional leg. Sad that HK will be a muted experience, but it can't be helped. Following the NZ Travel advisories, as currently HK isn't on the restricted list. Ironically, it may be that the UK is on HK &/or NZ's restricted lists by then...all we can do is wait & see & hope that travel insurance kicks in if plans are derailed.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in