Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been to The Hamptons?

(4 Posts)
Bloomburger Sat 15-Feb-20 10:43:20

DH has just asked me where I'd like to go and I've been watching too much The Affair and Real Housewives.

Anyone been to the Hamptons?

There would be 3 kids (we'll take DS's girlfriend) and DH and I. I'm happy to do self catering.

Can you hop across to NY for the day, I'm not a city person and would do it just because we are there, I've been before and found it oppressing.

DH is worried that we'll get eaten by sharks.

Would we be able to cycle around? I want it to be laid back, no rushing, good food and sunshine.

OP’s posts: |
sar302 Sat 15-Feb-20 11:04:52

The Hamptons is beautiful, but a bit of a ghost town before May and after Labour Day, so you'd need to pick your timings.

At the time the Hamptons is at its peak, New York is a hot sticky hell hole, which is why people go out to the Hamptons! But you can get to NYC for the day - it's about two hours by train.

Bloomburger Sat 15-Feb-20 12:30:27

Thank you Sar302 interesting to know.

I don't mind ghost town to be honest and if we take DSs girlfriend he'll be happy too so he won't care.

Is there enough to do for 2 weeks. Was thinking could fly to Boston and then go down couple of days later for the remainder of holiday.

OP’s posts: |
sar302 Sat 15-Feb-20 13:58:36

You could spend two weeks there - for that length of time a car would be helpful to make the most of it. Go out to montauk, relax on the beaches, see the lighthouses, wine tasting on the north fork etc.

For me, two weeks, I'd probably spend a week doing Boston and NYC and then a week in the Hamptons. But I'm a city girl!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in