Advanced search

Teenager - USA school trip

(23 Posts)
MrsLindor Mon 20-Jan-20 07:41:14

DD is going on holiday with school, I'm wondering how to send money with her.

I would usually take a no fee credit card and pay it off when I get home but at 17 she's too young for an additional card. She needs money for all meals and I don't want to send lots of cash. She has a debit card but I avoid those because of fees. Anyone had this situation?

OP’s posts: |
madamy Mon 20-Jan-20 07:50:48

We took preloaded money cards to Australia. You can get them from Post Office, Sainsbury's and other companies. You load them with money at that days exchange rate, so you could keep tabs on the balance and load more if she needs it. They're often Mastercard, so used just as a regular card. No fee for card use in USA but small fee for cash withdrawal eg $2. Have a read of the moneysavingexpert website.

wowfudge Mon 20-Jan-20 07:52:48

Look into Curve card.

Parker231 Mon 20-Jan-20 07:56:15

We use Caxton fx cards - ideal for travelling to avoid additional charges and means you don’t have to carry lots of cash.

FAQs Mon 20-Jan-20 07:56:52

When my day went skiing with school to USA, I gave her cash, school gave guidelines via the itinerary, when lunch was and wasn’t included and shopping etc. I also gave her my overseas Halifax credit card and gave her a spend limit.

WhatHaveIFound Mon 20-Jan-20 07:57:40

What about a Monzo card? DD has one and it's accepted anywhere that takes Mastercard. She applied online and it was with her withing a week. I can transfer money into it like i would her bank account.

DeanImpala67 Mon 20-Jan-20 07:59:15

I second Monzo, we use them abroad loads and so easy to move money in and out and see your balance and spending.

yummypancakes Mon 20-Jan-20 12:16:11

My kids have Nationwide accounts - no cash withdrawal fees globally

MrsLindor Mon 20-Jan-20 23:14:57

I did wonder about just giving her my Halifax Credit Card, I wasn't sure if there would be an issue with her using it on the US.

OP’s posts: |
Rinsefirst Mon 20-Jan-20 23:26:09

Monzo and it comes 48 hrs and you can load it with money every day from your phone

BritWifeinUSA Tue 21-Jan-20 04:19:31

@MrsLindor there probably would be an issue with her using your card here. We don’t have chip and pin so we sign when we pay by credit card. Some places ask for ID to check the card is yours, others study the signature on the card and compare it with the slip you’ve signed. We live in a very small community where everyone knows everyone and I’ve paid for petrol with my husband’s card and vice versa and they don’t even look but big cities are different.

MiniGuinness Tue 21-Jan-20 04:37:31

Most places in the US do have chip and pin, and no one has ever checked my DD's signature if she is using my card.

ioioitsoff Tue 21-Jan-20 05:08:47

* Most places in the US do have chip and pin, and no one has ever checked my DD's signature if she is using my card.*

Surely that's completely against the law ?

lovelyupnorth Tue 21-Jan-20 05:16:35

At 17 she can open a starling account. Free to use abroad and dead easy to top up as you need for her.

As regards to how much, how much has school suggested?

lovelyupnorth Tue 21-Jan-20 05:20:13

Both my DDs have starling and one currently in west Africa uses it all the time.

I wouldn’t suggest sending a card in your name we had to produce ID repeatedly in the States when using a credit card.

Starling or. Monzo the best way to go.

lovelyupnorth Tue 21-Jan-20 05:22:52

@MiniGuinness - depends on the state and also the cashiers knowledge as I used chip and pin in a few places in California who didn’t realise we could. But struggled in Arizona. By letting them use your card you’re opening yourself to all sorts of problems.


Bloomburger Tue 21-Jan-20 05:30:57

Tho k DH uses a Revolute card which you just load £ on and can use it few free anywhere. He works in money markets and so rates must be ok and it's easily tracked in the app to see what's being spent and tops up easily by way of app.

AlwaysCheddar Tue 21-Jan-20 05:35:44

Caxton card

MiniGuinness Tue 21-Jan-20 06:17:31

no one has ever checked my DD's signature if she is using my card.

Surely that's completely against the law?
No, not with permission. Could be against the credit card agreement, but not against law no.

MiniGuinness Tue 21-Jan-20 06:19:15

But yes OP, thinking about it if using a foreign card they probably would need ID. But depends where you are going because I have not had to sign anything for many years and they even have contactless now.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 21-Jan-20 06:48:33

Do not let your daughter use your own card under any circumstances, doing that could set you up for a whole host of troubles with your credit card provider, this card also remains their property.

She needs a monzo card of her own. Chip and pin is now widely seen within the usa

MrsLindor Tue 21-Jan-20 07:36:27

Thanks everyone we’ll get a card ordered. School have suggested $50 per day but I don’t think that’s going to be enough, breakfast is included on 2 mornings out of 6 but no other food is included, I need to be able to top up if needed.

OP’s posts: |
Inforthelonghaul Tue 21-Jan-20 07:45:14

Recommend Revolut card too. DH uses it when he’s abroad with work, it’s very easy and works really well.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in