Talk

Advanced search

Car hire

(7 Posts)
Pipsqueak11 Sun 19-Jan-20 07:36:24

Just hoping for a bit of advice. We have booked to go to western Canada in the summer and just booking car hire now. I can't remember which way round it was but there is a significant difference in price between Hertz and Dollar Rental. Do you think they are broadly comparable in terms of quality of vehicle within the same price bracket? For a three week rental one of them is around £800 more than the other one.Grateful for any advice If anyone has any experience of these two companies?

OP’s posts: |
BubblesBuddy Sun 19-Jan-20 17:01:41

You don’t need to pay £800 for car hire in Canada! Let alone the difference in price. What type of vehicle are you looking at? Is it a motor home? If just a full size car, £800 difference in price is ludicrous. Look at Expedia for price comparisons.

In high season you get what you are given with most car hire companies. We always go a bit bigger than we need. Always take out extra insurance. I would shop around. Can your airline offer you a deal?

lovelyupnorth Sun 19-Jan-20 18:28:29

We found the price differences to be massive especially as booked a one way and most companies seems to put a massive excess on.

I found the cheapest was Discover booked through holiday autos. Even trying to book directly on the Canadian website was more expensive

We book a 4 door focus size car and they where quiet pushy saying it was too small. Buy was perfect for us.

lovelyupnorth Sun 19-Jan-20 18:29:18

Think the car we got was a different brand as they had three franchises at Calgary but all the same company.

lovelyupnorth Sun 19-Jan-20 18:30:54

As far as extra insurance we had a separate policy and did have a smashed windscreen. Had to pay the full amount on returning the car but claimed it all back when home. Much cheaper than buying the car hire companies one.

Pipsqueak11 Sun 19-Jan-20 23:07:14

Thanks everyone - I will do some more shopping around . There are 6 of us so looking at a Dodge Grand Caravan / it's called a caravan but I s just a big SUV.
Also doing a one way pick up at Calgary and drop off at Vancouver . Thanks again for your advice .

OP’s posts: |
lovelyupnorth Mon 20-Jan-20 07:18:58

Ours cost about £600 for 16 days one way. Was a 5 door compact I think. Was Alamo booked via discover through holiday autos car we where given was an Avis one I think.

Only 4 of us and travelled light so focus was perfect.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in