Talk

Advanced search

Toronto/Ottawa in February half term?

(13 Posts)
ChaosTrulyReigns Wed 15-Jan-20 15:46:39

We've decided to go away for a Treat Holiday in half term and our idea is to leave Europe.

Vancouvee is our dream destination but we think that's that's too far for half term, sadly.

Would Toronto be suitable or just too friffing cold to actual enjoy. We've been previously and loved the city but now want to take the DC.

Is it doable if were dressed appropriately?

Should we just gird our lions and go for it?

OP’s posts: |
Themountainsarecalling Wed 15-Jan-20 15:53:06

There's a reason that Toronto has a huge underground walkway system!

Personally I wouldn't and I live within a 6 hour drive of Toronto. The only direction I'm interested in going in winter is south.

I

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 15-Jan-20 18:04:19

No, do not go there or to Ottawa in February (Ottawa being further north can be even colder). Having been in such cold it can feel miserable even if you are wrapped up well.

Best time to travel there is early to mid summer.

The Canary Islands are a four hour flight away and you will not need winter gear.

StonedRoses Wed 15-Jan-20 18:30:38

Ottawa will be freezing. No one will be outside and lots of stuff will he shut. Only reason to go that far in winter is for skiing - which is far better in the Rockies anyway

SJaneS48 Wed 15-Jan-20 19:36:40

As all the PP above! I’ve lived in Toronto and it will be flipping freezing!

MrsElijahMikaelson1 Wed 15-Jan-20 19:39:15

Also lived in Toronto-it’s fucking freezing till Easter nearly-the. One day of spring and it’s summer!🤣 So no, not in February as you will be stuck inside

SanAntonio Wed 15-Jan-20 19:46:56

Those lions will need to be well girded.

Toronto is very doable- we went for 4 nights easily but once of a plane is the additional time to Vancouver really any different?

Toronto is a bit boring for children?

lovelyupnorth Thu 16-Jan-20 06:54:10

Plenty for kids in Toronto but I wouldn’t be going in February. If you do you’ll need your big coat.

OllyBJolly Sun 19-Jan-20 21:19:19

We were in Toronto for a week in March and it was miserable. Blood chillingly cold and pavements all slushy. Obviously, the Canadians are geared up for that kind of weather but it's not the best time to see Toronto (disagree with pp, there is loads for kids in Toronto, but in the summer!)

ReviewingTheSituation Tue 21-Jan-20 08:03:58

I'd go to Montreal over Toronto (been to both), but probably not in the depths of winter!

ReviewingTheSituation Tue 21-Jan-20 08:04:20

I meant not either of them in winter...

mbosnz Tue 21-Jan-20 11:36:47

We went and stayed a month in Toronto a couple of years ago in February - with a view to relocating there. There's a reason we did not relocate to Toronto. . .

SJaneS48 Tue 21-Jan-20 12:42:50

I’d agree that Montreal probably has the edge over Toronto.. both are nicer than Ottawa though!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in