Talk

Advanced search

Canada - trip from Niagara, August

(12 Posts)
Sausagis Sat 11-Jan-20 18:53:45

Hello, I'm going to Niagara Falls (flying to Toronto) for a milestone birthday in August and have some extra days to fill. Would love any thoughts from people who know the area?

Current plan is a couple of days in Guelph, then a week in Niagara, then have 5 days free - possibly driving to South Bruce Peninsular and out to Tobermory? Thoughts welcomed!

We will be 6 people ages from 8 to 75, so looking for child and grandparent friendly. Don't like shopping, do like touristy stuff (especially water parks) and nature and wildlife - but walks not all day hikes. Will have car but don't want massive long drives. A few hours is fine, 7 hours+ not so much!

A million thanks, I've looked at so many websites I'm losing my mind!

OP’s posts: |
lovelyupnorth Sat 11-Jan-20 21:31:11

There is an ace water park in Toronto. Also enjoyed the zoo and fort York.

What is there to do at Niagara for a week?

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 11-Jan-20 22:09:59

You do not need a week in Niagara; a couple of days there will be more than sufficient. Its very much a tourist town sort of a place with many hotels, shops and the like.

underneaththeash Sat 11-Jan-20 22:13:45

Niagara Falls area is absolutely horrible. Very like Blackpool, I wouldn’t spend any longer than a day or so there.
The falls are spectacular, I’d book tickets in advance to skip the queue for the boat. The only other thing we vaguely liked there was the water park! We stayed in the best hotel in the area with falls view - it felt sticky and the food 🤢.

We did it as part of an amazing British Columbia Trip - Vancouver, Tofino (which has to be my favourite place ever (fishing, surfing, whale and bear watching), Whistler. Honestly go there.

OllyBJolly Sat 11-Jan-20 22:50:53

There's loads to see in Toronto that would keep you busy. I agree that two days - at most - is sufficient for Nagara. Maybe a day for Niagara and a day at Niagara-on-the-Lake?

The Science Centre is fab for all ages. Toronto island is a gorgeous place to spend a day. Just lovely. Black Creek Pioneer Village is good. And of course , the CN tower.

I find Wasaga Beach a bit tacky, but my family love it. Ellora is beautiful. Stratford is an interesting place and the Shakespeare festival will be on.
Blue Mountain is a nice trip out.

Canada's Wonderland is the theme park. Might be a bit dated now but we've had some fun times there.

If you're only there for a week or so I wouldn't travel that much away from Toronto. If you had longer I'd suggest Quebec City, Montreal or Ottawa but there is enough around Toronto to have a fun time.

(And tell restaurants it's your birthday and they'll always produce a cake!)

lovelyupnorth Sun 12-Jan-20 08:15:00

CN tower, baseball stadium and some bizarre new build castle where all good as well.

We spent a week in Toronto and a week in the Algonquin - was about 20 years ago.

Did have an awesome west coast of Canada holiday last summer. Calgary to a Vancouver via - Banff, Grande Cache, Jasper, Whistler

Sausagis Sun 12-Jan-20 22:40:07

Thanks all, I'll look into all those ideas

OP’s posts: |
SJaneS48 Thu 23-Jan-20 17:36:43

One day in Niagara would be the very max I’d want to do! The falls are magnificent but once you’ve viewed them and done the Maid of the Mist, that’s it really! Niagara on the Lake is pretty but a bit twee - worth visiting though. You can get to both by public transport from Toronto.

I used to live in Toronto eons ago and have been back numerous times since. Other than the usual (CN Tower, ferry to Centre Island etc) see what’s on at the Rogers Centre - the baseball season ends in October so if you can catch a Blue Jays game, do! I like Etienne Brule Park for a stroll - the entrance is near Old Mill subway. Also get the streetcar over to the Beaches (also known as the Beach). For galleries/shops/cafe’s, take a wander along West Queen West - it’s not quite as edgy as it used to be but is pretty arty and more cutting edge than a lot of Toronto. My DDs liked Black Creek Pioneer village which reconstructs life as it was back in the 1800’s. Enjoy! Love and miss Toronto!

Imonaplane Thu 23-Jan-20 20:16:39

I agree with the opinions on Niagara! We were there for 1 night and it was plenty. The falls are great but the rest of it is cheap and very tacky. Toronto is a beautiful city - CN Tower, a boat trip, hop on hop off bus tour and loads of lovely places to eat.

Wasabiprawns Tue 28-Jan-20 23:04:06

Definitely no more than a day and half at Niagara. Probably only 2 days in Toronto too. Have a look at www.thegreatcanadadianwildnerness.com as that may give you some ideas.

Would definitely think of either Vancouver area or Banff/Jaspar areas if you have time and you enjoy the mountains/lakes.

BIWI Wed 29-Jan-20 16:13:17

But going to Vancouver/Banff/Jasper is on the West Coast! It would involve a 7-9 hour flight to get there!

Wasabiprawns Wed 29-Jan-20 17:39:49

yes, op would have much more time if the Niagara part was cut from 7 days to 1 day.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in