Talk

Advanced search

Vaccines for Caribbean

(10 Posts)
fantango Mon 23-Dec-19 14:24:47

I'm finding confusing and conflicting advice online. Those of you who have been to Dominican Republic did you have any specific vaccines? I'm travelling with dh and two kids in October

OP’s posts: |
Longdistance Mon 23-Dec-19 14:27:11

We went in the summer. No vaccines needed. My dds are up to date with their usual vaccines. Though the mozzies are buggers! 🦟

fantango Mon 23-Dec-19 14:38:57

Yep kids all up to date. Will go armed with insect repellent and piriton. More nervous about the flight duration with the kids tbh.

travellover Mon 23-Dec-19 14:42:32

Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, typhoid, cholera and tetanus are needed for Caribbean. But if you've been Caribbean (or most places long haul) before then you've probably already had them just make sure you're up to date smile

bluebell94 Mon 23-Dec-19 14:44:59

I'd say as long as you're staying in an alright hotel with decent food/water/etc you'll be low risk so fine without anything - use travelhealthpro site to check any country, it's reliable for vaccine recommendations and handy to check smile

dementedpixie Mon 23-Dec-19 14:48:54

www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/caribbean/dominican-republic#Immunisations

SiennaSienna Mon 23-Dec-19 14:54:08

Our GP made us go with the same vaccines travellover recommended above. We're in Canada and the Caribbean is a major holiday destination here.

dementedpixie Mon 23-Dec-19 14:55:43

I would check with the nurse at your gp practice as they often run a travel clinic. The link I have says those others are suggested but not compulsory and depends where you are staying

Daisydoola Mon 23-Dec-19 14:55:43

We had hep A, typhoid and made sure our tetanus was up to date.

fantango Mon 23-Dec-19 15:09:15

Thank you. We're in one of the millions of all inclusives but will check with practice nurse. We're all up to date thus far.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in